Times are hard now and there is an increasing number of scams nowadays.
The PDRM commercial crime division has shared news of two variants of a scam involving the use of WhatsApp. This post was initially posted on the Singapore Police Force’s Facebook page.
Never share your One- Time Password (OTP) with anyone. Otherwise, you may find yourself falling prey to a scam!
In the post, they said that the usual modus operandi would involve a “close friend” or “family member” who will reach out to the victim and say that their accounts have been compromised. They will ask the victim to send a 6-digit verification code and the victim will lose access to their own account.
However, this method has been tweaked and there are now two new ways the scam will take place:
- The scammer will pretend to be part of the support staff from WhatsApp and they will say that your account has been reported. They will then say that you need to verify your WhatsApp account by telling them the 6-digit verification code sent to you. Once you’ve handed over this information, you will lose access to your account.
- In another variant, the scammer will attempt to login into your account multiple times which will bring up the option of “voice verification” where WhatsApp will call your number. When you ignore the call or if your phone is switched off, it will go into voicemail where the scammer can access your account using the default PIN used by telco service providers.
To prevent this from happening to you, you can adopt the following steps:
- Never share the 6-number verification code with ANYONE.
- Be wary when anonymous numbers/your contacts start having weird requests.
- Enable “Two-Step Verification” (Settings –> Account –> Two-step verification –> Enable).
- Change your voicemail pin.
Please take note of these and share this so that your friends and family will not fall victim to these scams.
A Police Officer Commits Suicide In Muar, Believed To Have Shot Himself In The Neck
A police officer in Muar had committed suicide in his own vehicle today. According to the media statement of the...
All R&Rs Nationwide Allowed To Operate 24 Hours, Cyber Cafes Can Now Open In Phase 3 & 4 States
With inter-state travel now allowed in Malaysia, the Prime Minister on Friday (15 October 2021) announced that all rest and...
The Sinopharm Vaccine Is Now Available At Private Clinics & Hospitals Across M’sia
A new vaccine brand, the Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine is now available in Malaysia. According to Duopharma Biotech in a statement...
A Meteorite Nearly Crashed Onto A Woman’s Bed While She Was Asleep
A woman was nearly struck by a meteorite that fell on the roof of her home in Canada recently. The...
Khairy: Various Difficulties Await Anti-vaxxers & This Will Continue Until They Get Vaccinated
The government will take a stern approach against those who refuse to receive Covid-19 vaccines by continuing to impose various...
Durian Smell Causes Anxiety Among Canberra Residents Who Thought It Was A Gas Leak
Durian is a controversial fruit. Some hate it, and some love it to bits. However, everyone can agree that the...
Malaysia Wins A Seat At The UN Human Rights Council With 183 Votes
Malaysia managed to garner 183 votes to fill one of the 18 seats of the United Nations Human Rights Council...
Khairy: Quarantine Period For Vaccinated Travellers Returning To M’sia Shortened To 7 Days
The Minister of Health, YB Khairy Jamaluddin confirmed that starting 18 October 2021, the government has agreed to shorten the...
Lifestyle23 hours ago
Aeon Big 3 Damansara To Close Permanently, Last Day On 31 October
Social Stories20 hours ago
M’sian Dota 2 Player Leads His Team To The Grand Finals Of TI10 To Potentially Win RM75.6 Million!
Social Stories10 hours ago
M’sian Dota 2 Pro ‘NothingToSay’ & Team Narrowly Lose TI10 Grand Finals, Wins RM21.6 MILLION
Social Stories17 hours ago
Drunk British Man In S’pore Shouts “F**k off you can’t arrest me” At Local Police, Gets Arrested