Connect with us

News

Petaling Jaya Imposes Ban on Polystyrene Containers

Published

No More Polystyrene For You Petaling Folks. - World Of Buzz 5

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

Recently, Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) has imposed a ban on the use of polystyrene in Petaling Jaya starting September 1, reports The Star.

Polystyrene comes most commonly in the form of disposable plates, cups, bowls, and food containers.

No More Polystyrene For You Petaling Folks. - World Of Buzz

This popular choice of dining products are easy to find, easy to use, and are sold at a reasonable price. However, a major downside to this simple products are that polystyrene does not biodegrade.

Polystyrene is produced to be only used once, and they are not easily recyclable. Furthermore, these products are highly toxic when burnt or consumed. In short, they are bad news for mother earth.

No More Polystyrene For You Petaling Folks. - World Of Buzz 1

Apparently the campaign to restrict food vendors from using polystyrene has been ongoing some 3 years back.

Mayor of Petaling Jaya, Mohd Azizi Mohd Zain says that should the demand of biodegradable food containers increase, in turn, the cost of them would decrease.

No More Polystyrene For You Petaling Folks. - World Of Buzz 4

“We have to start somewhere and it is time we take measures to tackle the polystyrene waste. Start using biodegradable food containers and the cost of such containers will go down. When there is enough demand to justify mass production, the cost of producing these biodegradable items will reduce,” he shared at the council’s board meeting in June.

To strengthen the need of this action, studies conducted by MBPJ have shown that in just 4 Ramadan bazaars last year, approximately 181.74 tonnes of waste were collected. A total of 1,339 stalls were set up for the bazaars, meaning that averagely each stall would have contributed 4.52kg of waste a day (135.75kg/month).

Mohd Azizi also shares that there were 20 bazaars held in the city and the waste collected was unimaginable. The total cost spent on waste managing was RM78,932.

So in light of that, this year SS6/1 Kelana Jaya has been chosen for MBPJ’s green pilot project.

Programmes on how to recycle cooking oil and solid waste were held and, customers were also encouraged to bring their own food containers to the bazaars, but as usual the efforts were not practiced by many.

Mohd Azizi has also said that, “those who brought their own food containers stood a chance to win prizes in a lucky draw. However, the support was poor.”

It looks like awareness is still lacking in the majority of the general public as Federal Territory Solid Waste Management and Public Cleansing Corporation (SWCorp) has announced that only 17.39% of households practice waste separation.

“Petaling Jaya is committed to continue its waste recycling efforts. Enforcement alone will not work, we need a shift in public attitude.”

Alright people, time to bring out your tiffin carriers.

No More Polystyrene For You Petaling Folks. - World Of Buzz 2

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Collage 17 Collage 17
News4 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News4 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News5 days ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Collage 14 Collage 14
News6 days ago

19yo M’sian Student Charged with Murder of Woman Found with 61 Stab Wounds, Faces Death Penalty

A college student has been charged at the Kota Bharu Magistrate’s Court today with the murder of 19-year-old Nurfisya Zulkifly...

Collage 13 Collage 13
News6 days ago

PDRM: Several Individuals, Believed to be Drunk, Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery for ‘Glaring’ at Them

A man was assaulted by a group of individuals after reportedly looking in their direction while dining at a restaurant...

Collage 11 Collage 11
News1 week ago

PDRM: 11yo Student Who Fell from Melaka School Was Retrieving Peer’s Shoe He Had Thrown on Awning

Police have confirmed that an incident involving a Standard 5 male student, who was injured after falling from a garage...

Collage 9 Collage 9
News2 weeks ago

11yo Falls From Melaka School Building While Retrieving Shoe Allegedly Thrown Onto Awning by a Peer

A Standard Five male student from a primary school in Batu Berendam, Melaka, was injured after falling from the first-floor...

Dd Ft 17 Dd Ft 17
News2 weeks ago

“I forgive him” – Father of 8yo Girl Fatally Struck Near Johor School Urges Public Not to Blame Van Driver

An 8-year-old student was fatally struck in front of Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Seri Maimon in Parit Sulong, Batu Pahat, Johor,...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY