Connect with us

News

M’sian Champion Tower Runner Feels Unrecognised by Govt After RM4 Mil Fund Announced

Published

Asia'S Top Tower Runner Says He Feels Unrecognised By Putrajaya After Rm4Mil Fund Announced For Someone Else - World Of Buzz 2
Source: The Star & Facebook

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

Just last week (7th February), solo runner Honorary Major Dr Suwaibah Muhammad Nasir announced that she was looking to collect RM4 million to fund her “humanitarian journey to conquer 30 of the world’s tallest towers”.

Dr Suwaibah explained that this large sum is meant to cover her expenses when she embarks on this mission that requires her to travel to 14 different countries. Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu has also shown support for the tower runner at a recent event. So far, she has also received a sponsorship to cover her travel and accommodation while on tour.

However, the announcement prompted some backlash from netizens, who questioned the large fees and called for the funds to be allocated for the country’s development instead.

Others pointed out that local athlete and the top tower climber in Asia, 25-year-old Soh Wai Ching, should have been sponsored for a mission like this instead.

Now, Asia’s top tower runner has since spoken out about this fund, questioning the Defence Minister’s support for Dr Suwaibah, adding that he was more qualified than her. He was quoted by Free Malaysia Today as saying,

“Why support her? Is it because she had been in the army? Why not support athletes who represent the country like me?”

Asia's Top Tower Runner Says He Feels Unrecognised By Putrajaya After Rm4Mil Fund Announced For Someone Else - World Of Buzz

Source: facebook

Soh also called the RM4 million fund a nonsensical amount, stating that he only needed RM80,000 to participate in tower running competitions this year. He added that despite his outstanding performance, he has yet to be recognised as a national athlete, as was promised by the Ministry of Youth and Sports. Soh added,

“I met a special officer to the deputy youth and sports minister on Dec 27. It is now more than a month.”

Local photographer Keow Wee Loong, famous for his stunning shots taken from the tops of KL’s famous buildings, also criticised the exorbitant RM4 million fund, and wrote a Facebook post in solidarity with Soh. An excerpt from post reads,

“(I’ve) been running up buildings for a long time but I don’t see how that’s going to help humanity by wasting 4 million on someone who is not going to be winning anything but wasting money to fulfill a personal achievement. There is nothing humanitarian about this personal goal.”

“Defence Minister Mohammad Sabu and our government should endorse Soh Wai Ching who is ranked the number 1 tower runner in Asia. There are millions of qualified, talented and experienced Malaysians out there, why Suwaibah Nasir?”

I have been running/scaling up the tallest structure around the world,more than 30 building of course but it didnt cost…

Posted by Keow Wee Loong on Sunday, February 10, 2019

According to the New Straits Times, the Ministry of Defence denied claims that his ministry sponsored RM4 million and clarified that Mohammad Sabu merely showed moral support for Dr Suwaibah. In light of Soh Wai Ching’s comments on the fund, the ministry stated,

“It is unfair for any athlete to accuse the ministry of being biased if they themselves did not meet and get the support of the Defence Ministry and minister.”

What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below!

 

Also read: Netizens Criticise Runner Who Wants RM4 Mil Sponsorship for Her “Humanitarian Tour”

Netizens Question Solo Runner's Rm4 Million Sponsorship Request For Her To Conquer 30 World's Tallest Tower - World Of Buzz 2

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Dd Ft 3 Dd Ft 3
News14 hours ago

MARA Chairman Slams Netizens for Belittling Cadet Pilot Programme Prioritising Tahfiz Students

Recently, Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) announced its decision to offer Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Tahfiz students the opportunity...

Collage 17 Collage 17
News5 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News5 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News6 days ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Collage 14 Collage 14
News7 days ago

19yo M’sian Student Charged with Murder of Woman Found with 61 Stab Wounds, Faces Death Penalty

A college student has been charged at the Kota Bharu Magistrate’s Court today with the murder of 19-year-old Nurfisya Zulkifly...

Collage 13 Collage 13
News7 days ago

PDRM: Several Individuals, Believed to be Drunk, Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery for ‘Glaring’ at Them

A man was assaulted by a group of individuals after reportedly looking in their direction while dining at a restaurant...

Collage 11 Collage 11
News2 weeks ago

PDRM: 11yo Student Who Fell from Melaka School Was Retrieving Peer’s Shoe He Had Thrown on Awning

Police have confirmed that an incident involving a Standard 5 male student, who was injured after falling from a garage...

Collage 9 Collage 9
News2 weeks ago

11yo Falls From Melaka School Building While Retrieving Shoe Allegedly Thrown Onto Awning by a Peer

A Standard Five male student from a primary school in Batu Berendam, Melaka, was injured after falling from the first-floor...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY