We’ve heard many horror stories of a person being overworked and there’s even cases where people have died due to crunching extra long hours in the office. In fact, it’s so prevalent that Japan has a word for it and it is called “karoshi”.
This 51-year-old man surnamed Yang from Pingtung, Taiwan was a victim of overwork but luckily, he managed to survive the ordeal. According to LTN, Yang suffered bleeding from his brain after he worked continuously for 35 days without rest at a frozen fish factory in Taiwan.
Apparently, Yang’s tasks at work involves processing the aquatic products and on December 20, 2014, he suddenly fainted at 4pm while he was working. He was sent to the hospital where the doctors diagnosed him with cerebral hemorrhage and high blood pressure.
As a result of this, he became disabled. He also could not work and had to undergo rehabilitation for a long time due to nerve damage. He could barely walk even after four years and his children had to go out and work part-time to help support the family. Yang decided to sue his company for compensation as he said that it was overwork that caused him to suffer from injuries but his company responded by saying that he already had unhealthy habits. They said that Yang liked to smoke and drink often and his work was not very strenuous so he was 70% accountable for his injuries.
The Ministry of Labour decided to investigate this case and went to the company to understand more details. They discovered that Yang had not taken an off day for the past 35 days when he was working and usually worked more than 10 hours. The day before he was hospitalised, they found that he had worked 14.5 hours. That’s almost double of what’s required!
The judge ruled that the company was at fault for making him work such long hours. Labour law in Taiwan states that a company cannot ask their employees to work for more than 12 hours a day and more than 46 hours of overtime in a month. The judge said that Yang’s illness was indeed caused by overwork and sentenced the company to pay him compensation of 5,792,571 TWD (approx. RM781,000).
What do you think of this case? Let us know in the comments section!
S’porean Man Loses Finger To Flesh-Eating Bacteria After he Pricked It While Cleaning Raw Prawns
A Singaporean man had to cut off part of his right index finger after it became infected by flesh-eating bacteria....
What Is A Census & Why It Is Mandatory For Malaysians To Participate
Want to help your community but you are unable to do so due to personal restrictions? Well, here’s your shot...
It’s Been 3 Years Since T.Nhaveen’s Death, Here’s What You Can Do To Stop Bullying
12th June 2017 was a dark day for Malaysians. We were shocked and appalled by the news of 18-year-old T.Nhaveen...
Drunk Drivers In M’sia Could Be Fined Up To RM150,000 & Jailed Up To 20 Years If Found Guilty
The Malaysian authorities have had their hands full due to drunk drivers for the last few months and have come...
UK Tourist Shares Grateful Post For How Malaysia Handled Covid-19
As we all know, Malaysia has been acknowledged as one of the best countries in handling the outbreak of Covid-19...
- Current Affairs22 hours ago
Malaysian Teacher Falls To His Death While Preparing For School Reopening
- News21 hours ago
Children Playing at Shanghai Museum Break Worlds Largest Glass Blown Castle
- News22 hours ago
Woman’s Drink Spiked With Aphrodisiac, Here’s How You Can Prevent It From Happening To You
- Current Affairs19 hours ago
Here’s Why The Govt Wants To Bottle Covid-19 Vaccines in Malaysia Once It’s Ready