Adding to the list of shocking events that transpire post-GE14, is the resignation of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) boss.
FMT reported today (14 May 2018) that MACC chief commissioner, Dzulkifli Ahmad has resigned from his position.
He was appointed as MACC’s chief two years ago (1 August 2018) to replace Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohamed.
Prior to that, Dzulkifli held some interesting positions that contributed to his great track record as an anti-corruption agent. Below is a list of his previous positions before becoming the chief commissioner of MACC;
- 7 June 1993 – February 2002: Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) at the Trade Crime Unit, Prosecution Division at the Attorney-General Chambers (AGC)
- March 2002 – February 2003: DPP at the Classified Unit
- 2004 – 2010: Head of the Asset Forfeiture and Money Laundering Unit
- 1 November 2010 – 4 January 2015: Head of the Trade Crime Unit
- 15 January – 11 August 2015: Director of Criminal Cases Management at the Prosecution Division in the AGC
- 12 August 2015 – 31 July 2016: Director of the National Revenue Recovery Enforcement Team at the AGC
Throughout his impressive career, Dzulkifli had handled many high-profile cases, amongst them are;
- Cases of fraud and breach of trust worth RM200 million involving Lembaga Tabung Haji
- A money laundering case worth more than RM41 million involving a medical doctor
- The prosecution of a fraud case surrounding the Port Klang Free Zone (PKFZ)
- The case involving Dr Mohamad Khir Toyo, ex-Menteri Besar of Selangor, who exploited his position to buy land and bungalows in Shah Alam
However, these achievements were undervalued when an alleged extramarital affair scandal involving him surfaced in the form of a video, back in 2017. After that, it’s believed that he was pressured to resign but he fought back.
“These dirty tactics are meant to smear my image and reputation as MACC commissioner and to bring down the credibility of the MACC in our efforts to ensure that this country is free from corruption and abuse of power.”
“We are going to continue carrying out our duties as best as we can. Such allegations will not affect us,” he told TV3.
Besides that, there were also investigations about his alleged expensive vacations to Bali and Hong Kong.
Well, these are some concerning allegations!
Therefore, with alleged scandals circulating around, Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng has assured that he stands by Tun M’s suggestion to replace MACC’s top brass to make sure that it regains its credibility as the country’s anti-graft body.
On the other hand, MACC honorary commissioner Ramon Navaratnam said that he was shocked with Dzulkifli’s resignation.
“I’m sure he has a good reason to resign.”
“Maybe like other people, he too was under pressure,” he told FMT.
With that said, it’s indeed very shocking to see a man with such calibre suddenly resign without any reason. Hopefully, Dzulkifli will come out with a statement to explain his sudden bizarre decision which has certainly raised a lot of questions among the people.
“It’s salary day!” Maybank2U App Is Down As They Face Service Interruptions
It’s the end of the month and you know what day is it?? Yes, it’s the one day your bank...
PDRM Investigating Officer After Video Caught Him Allegedly Kicking Foreign Worker
We admire and appreciate police officers as they constantly put themselves in the line of danger for the safety of...
“I’m not interested in any political parties!” Finance Minister Says Nation’s Economy Is His Priority
After a lengthy debate regarding the fund distribution, the Budget 2021 passed the policy stage. Next, it will be debated...
130yo Man In Sabah Who Died Of Covid-19 Is Allegedly The Oldest Person In The World
A foreigner living in Sabah, who is reported to be 130 years old, was recorded as the 35,037th person in...
Crowds of People Cram Shops In Kota Bharu After Price of Gold Drops
The drop in the price of gold had drawn crowds at several jewellery shops in Kota Bharu where gold is...
Social Stories18 hours ago
Pictures Show Large Crowds Outside Pavillion KL Despite Upsurge in Covid-19 Cases
News17 hours ago
Man Throws 4yo Grandson Off 4th Floor Apartment in Wangsa Maju
People24 hours ago
Johnny Depp Still The Face of Dior Fragrance Despite Losing Libel Case
News18 hours ago
Indonesia Narrowly Rejects Controversial Law Forcing Citizens To Turn In LGBT Family Members