A 34-year-old woman died after eating black fungus mushroom (or cloud ear fungus) that had been soaking in water for too long.
According to China Press, the incident happened in Dongguan, Guangdong province. The woman had soaked the fungus in water to be used in her cooking but only used some of it while the remainder was left soaking in the water to be used the next day.
This black fungus mushroom is usually sold in a dried form, and is to be soaked in warm water for at least an hour before consumption, according to Healthline.
However, because the woman left it soaking overnight, a kind of bacteria had grown on the fungus causing the woman to experience symptoms of nausea and black stools after eating it. She was then rushed to the hospital for treatment.
The woman was diagnosed with acute liver failure and was admitted to the intensive care unit, but due to high medical expenses, the woman was transferred back home where her family took care of her. However, she suffered multiple organ failure and eventually died.
Doctors later discovered the presence of toxins in her blood and urine called bongrek acid, which is caused by the production of Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteria in the black fungus.
Experts have pointed out that the black fungus itself has no toxins, but if soaked in water for too long, bacteria is able to grow. They noted that black fungus should be soaked in cold water or in the fridge for about one to two hours and not more than four hours and certainly not overnight! When buying fresh ones, make sure that it is not sticky, smelly or slimy.
If you love eating black fungus mushrooms, make sure you prepare them well!
M’sians Share How The Internet Helped Them Survive & Earn A Living During The MCO
Since the pandemic started, many businesses have taken quite a hit. They’re making less money due to fewer customers as...
Vitamin C: 5 Fascinating Facts M’sians Need To Know About The Most Popular Vitamin In The World
Ever since we were kids, our moms would tell us to take vitamin C so we don’t get sick. Most...
OMG! This e-Wallet Lets M’sians Pick & Win ANY Gift They Want, Including a Samsung S20 Ultra!
As of today, e-wallets are widely used all over the country. It’s safer, more convenient, and with the multitude of...
- Viral22 hours ago
Woman Upset & Disappointed Because She Received RM2.1k LV Wallet From BF
- Malaysia21 hours ago
Drunk Driver Who Killed Man While Driving Against Traffic Charged With Murder, Denied Bail
- Malaysia19 hours ago
UPDATE: Drunk Driver Who Killed FoodPanda Rider Charged In Court, Pleads Not Guilty
- Inspiring22 hours ago
Poor Woman Gives Up RM29 From Her RM34 Monthly Pension To Help Charity Feed Others