fbpx
Connect with us

Social Stories

M’sian Shares About The Dangers Of Using Rat Poison After Her Cat Allegedly Ate It & Died

Published

Catto Ft 1 E1628150655743
Source: Carolyn Joan Lau | FB & Shinga Pet

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

Trigger Warning: This article contains graphic content that some viewers may find disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised.

A Malaysian woman, Carolyn Joan Lau, took to her Facebook on 2 August to warn the public about the dangers of using rat poison in public areas after her beloved pet cat, Koichi, passed away.

According to Carolyn, Koichi who was perfectly in the pink of health the day before (1 August) died unexpectedly after allegedly ingesting the rat poison that was set up by her fellow neighbours on accident.

She wrote in her post:

“This morning, I buried my cat. She was fine last night but was dead in the morning. Possibly by eating rat poison put out in the neighbourhood because the area has a bad rat problem.”

Catto

Carolyn explained that her catto, Koichi, was an intelligent cat as she was a hunter who would go after rats and lizards.

“Koichi was an excellent ratter. She regularly brought me rats and lizards but mostly constant joy which made my house a home. This isn’t about losing Koichi so much as the use of poison bait. Please stop using it,” Carolyn wrote in her post.

 

Instead of rat poison, opt for cage traps instead

Using rat poison for the intention of getting rids of pests may seem like a quick and easy solution to many but some fail to realise that other innocent domesticated animals may fall victim to the poisoning.

Carolyn suggested that those who suffer from pest control issues opt for using cage traps instead.

“Use cage traps instead. Gardenia bread makes for good bait, the pandan rolls, or with peanut butter, and doesn’t get mouldy. Then drown the whole thing in a bucket of water. one minute and it’s over. Get people to help you if you can’t do the ‘deed’,” she suggested.

Rat Cage

She added:

“If every house put out their traps in back lanes every night we could collectively solve the pest problem. Just stop using poison.”

According to RSPCA, rat poison is deadly towards cats and dogs as this poison is normally flavoured to make them attractive to rodents and these can also entice other animals to eat them. Dogs and cats who ingest rat baits may die.

There have also been cases where the bait poisons children as well.

Besides the possibility of other animals falling for the rat poison bait, there’s also a high chance of cats (and other animals) who might hunt down mice or rodents that have already digested the poison.

“Your dog or cat could develop rat bait poisoning if they eat rat bait directly or if they eat tissue from an animal that has consumed rat bait.”

 

The importance of biodiversity

Carolyn pointed out the importance of biodiversity and added that many species are dying. As humans, we need to step up to protect them.

“We could be inadvertently killing owls, hornbills, raptors, anything that preys on small rodents that have eaten poison bait. Biodiversity is so important for our survival,” she said.

“Yes, we could survive with fewer humans and less domesticated cats, but not with dwindling biodiversity. Please stop using poison bait. Koichi would not have died in vain if just one person reading this decides to stop using poison bait.”

Carolyn told WORLD OF BUZZ that after her Facebook post was read by the public, there were a handful of comments made by people that just prove that humans can be unthoughtful.

Cat Hunting Mice

“All the tree shrews, squirrels, birds, pets that have been killed by rat poison. Some of the comments are very telling of human attitude towards nature. Humans are selfish, shallow, unthinking parasites in our own ecosphere,” she told WORLD OF BUZZ.

She also said, “Any tree shrews, birds and lizards are killed by domestic cats. I concur with comments that domestic cats can also upset biodiversity, but they eat what they kill as they are natural hunters.”

Due to losing her beloved cat in such a cruel way, Carolyn added:

“As I am not an indoor cat person, I won’t be having a cat again for a long while until that changes.”

Rest in peace, Koichi. 

What are your thoughts on this article? Let us know in the comment section below!

 

Also Read: Australian Athletes Leave Broken Beds, Hole In Wall & Vomit After Party In Olympic Village

Australian Olympics Destroy Rooms Drunk Ft

Source: Ali Express
Source: Shinga Pet


Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

Just In

Feat Image New Fuel Mechanism Feat Image New Fuel Mechanism
News5 hours ago

“BMW can’t get the same subsidies as Kancil”, Govt To Introduce New Targeted Fuel Mechanism

Senior Minister and International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali has announced that the federal government is...

My Post 2022 05 20T145347.412 My Post 2022 05 20T145347.412
News1 day ago

Johor Experiences Shortage In Nurses As They Prefer Working In Singapore For Better Salaries

It appears that Johor is having a severe shortage of nurses, leading the state government to arrange for a meeting...

Ft Parlimen Ft Parlimen
News1 day ago

“Parliament proceedings are toxic & like pasar malam” – Ex Parliament Speaker Recalls His Experience

Parliament is a place intended for our representatives to debate on reforms and important issues. However, in Malaysia, there appears...

Ft India Ft India
News2 days ago

Space Debris Mysteriously Found in 3 Areas in India, Suspected to be From Chinese Rocket

Although it is rare to get hit by space debris, it appears that it is becoming a regular occurrence in...

My Post 2022 05 19T131546.749 My Post 2022 05 19T131546.749
News2 days ago

PDRM On Lookout For BMW Driver For Braking Abruptly Several Times To Purposely Bother Other Drivers

The police are currently in the process of tracking down the driver of a white BMW, after the driver was...

Ft Swallow Ft Swallow
News2 days ago

UK Single Mother Forced to Undergo Surgery After Accidentally Swallowing a Covid-19 Swab Test

We often hear of people swallowing things which they are probably not meant to, such as coins, nails and even...

Ft Database Ft Database
News3 days ago

Another Database Allegedly Leaked & on Sale For Almost RM44,000, Has Information on 22.5 MILLION M’sians

Just 8 months ago 2 huge database were put up for sale on a well-known marketplace forum. One of the...

Plastic Bag Charge All States Plastic Bag Charge All States
News3 days ago

Minister: All States Agree On Min. RM0.20 Pollution Charge Per Plastic Bag To Combat Single Use Plastic

We use a lot of plastic bags in our daily life, especially when we tapau lunch or go to get...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY