If you own a house, you should also know the pains of maintaining one especially after you’ve lived there for a long time. Old houses would have issues caused by wear and tear, while new houses could also have their own problems thanks to poor workmanship and cheap materials.
Calling a professional repairman would be the first thing everyone does when their house needs a fixer-upper but if you have some basic home improvement skills, there are huge benefits to fixing your own home, including:
1. Saving a LOT of money on repair bills
Unless you need some work done that requires heavy and dangerous power tools, there are actually quite a lot of things you could do around your house that doesn’t require a handyman. For example, sealing cracks in the house could cost you up to RM300 and handyman fees in Malaysia are about RM70 per hour.
With some DIY knowledge, you can do simple house repairs such as:
- Covering up wall cracks with good quality fillers
- Fix squeaky furniture with an RP7 lubricant
- Glue broken items back together with strong adhesives
- Seal a leaking sink or shower with professional-grade sealants
With the right tools and materials, you can really save money on those labour charges!
2. Reduce the risk of having outsiders in your home
As we all know, the pandemic we are currently facing is highly infectious. This wouldn’t be a good time to have repairmen who have visited other houses come to your home and risk the possibility of getting sick. If you have major repairs or renovations planned, it’s best to postpone them for now and deal with any small home issues on your own.
Go online and watch videos on how to fix a seal in your bathroom or how to put up a shelf on your own. It’s a good time to learn new things since we’re all stuck at home anyway!
3. Make home improvements at your own pace
When you have others do your home repairs or improvements, there’s the inconvenience of having to be there at all times and sacrificing your busy schedule to monitor them. When you fix up your own home, you can do it on your own time. By doing this, you also won’t feel pressured by a “professional” to do things a certain way that could unnecessarily cost you more money than intended.
You can try out a few simple DIY home improvements to spruce up your living space, such as:
- Adding LED lighting strips into your cabinets & shelves for a warm and classier look
- Use a mixture of water + bleach to remove mould especially around damp places in your bathroom & kitchen
- Add wall shelves in your living room to place some decorations like plants or small sculptures
- Place wooden slats on your shower floor to give it that spa feeling and make them anti-slip too
Aside from making your house look nicer, there’s also that rewarding feeling after you’ve completed the job. Think of it as one more skill you can add to your list of achievements to impress your friends with!
4. You could prevent bigger problems in the future
As the person living in the house, only you would notice any structural issues that need fixing. If you notice a crack or a loose hinge somewhere and can fix it yourself, it’s good to be able to do so immediately and stop the problem from becoming a bigger one.
Here are some examples of commonly overlooked household issues that could lead to major problems in the future:
- Leaky, rusty pipes can turn into a major pipe burst
- Water that leaks into ceilings can cause the ceiling to collapse if left unrepaired
- Cracked walls can lead to serious structural integrity issues later on
- Pipes that are not properly sealed can leak and flood a bathroom overnight
Imagine not repairing that loose door hinge for months and one day the door just comes off as you open it. Someone could get hurt and you’ll have more than just handyman bills to pay for.
5. You will learn some valuable skills
With so much information readily available online right now, it’s easy to learn something new like DIY home improvement and repairs? You’ll not only save money but become a much more independent person who knows how to fix their own home.
Aside from home improvement skills, you’ll also know more about the tools and materials used to do the job such as what a sealant does or the types of lubricants available and their uses.
And if you happen to be on the lookout for materials for some DIY home improvements, Selleys has all the right stuff for you!
Selleys is an Australian brand offering a range of home improvement products that are now available in Malaysia. Their high-quality products include:
- Lubricant – RP7: Multi-purpose lubricant and penetrating spray to stop annoying squeaks, loosen rusty parts and more
- Construction Adhesives – Liquid Nails: High strength multi-purpose construction adhesive that forms a lasting bond on most building substrates
- Fillers – No More Gaps: Durable, flexible acrylic gap sealant for interior & exterior applications where joint movement causes fillers to crack or fall out
- Sealants – Wet Area White: A silicone sealant ideal for bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms that delivers a superior waterproof & mould-resistant seal that won’t shrink, crack or peel
- Household Adhesive – Shoe Glue: Strong, flexible, weather and impact resistant adhesive ideal for most shoe repairs
- Household Adhesive – Supa Glue: All rounder adhesive, sets as fast as 10 seconds
When it comes to your home, it’s best to use a trusted brand for all DIY improvements & repairs as poor quality ones might cause even more damage or worse, an injury later on. That’s why make sure to check out Selleys products that will ensure your home fixes are secure and long-lasting so you can have peace of mind.
You can find Selleys products at selected Nippon Paint dealers today. To know more about other Selleys products, head over to their official website where you can also find tips on DIY home fixes. There’s even a Selleys official YouTube channel where you can watch videos and get tips on how to use their products! How handy is that?
Just be sure to be extra careful when doing home improvements on your own and call a professional if the job’s too much for you to handle! And when you’re looking for home improvement products, just remember, If It’s Selleys, It Works!
Video Of Portal Opening In KL Car Park Is Making Waves Online!
A video of a man mysteriously disappearing from a shopping mall car park in Kuala Lumpur, after a ring of...
School Bullies In France Will Go To Jail For 3 Years Under New Law
Instances of bullying has increased in schools all over the world. In Malaysia, there have been instances where it has...
Finland’s PM Under Fire For Clubbing Till 4am Despite Exposure To Covid-19
Finland’s prime minister, Sanna Marin, has been receiving backlash from the public after it was revealed she stayed out clubbing...
Fully Vaccinated Parents Can Now Bring Their Children To The Cinema To Watch Movies
Fully vaccinated parents can now bring their children to the cinema to watch movies this holiday. GSC’s Public Relations and...
#Lawan Threatens Govt With Protest If Food Pricing Not Reduced ASAP
The country has recently been hit with wave after wave of price hikes as there is apparently a shortage of...
M’sian Restaurants & Coffee Shops Don’t Have To Apply For Liquor Licence Anymore
The beer sales restriction by DBKL and Perlis, did not go down too well with many sects of the country...
BREAKING: Court Of Appeal Upholds Guilty Verdict Against Najib Razak
The Court of Appeal has thrown out former Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s appeal against his guilty verdict by...
UAE Will Be 1st Country To Move To 4.5 Days Work Week Just For Mental Health
Working for five days a week and having only two days to rest definitely takes a toll on us. The...
Social Stories18 hours ago
Malaysians Triggered as Ustaz Stops Cashier from Selling Beer to Foreigner
News18 hours ago
Video Of Portal Opening In KL Car Park Is Making Waves Online!
Social Stories20 hours ago
Malaysians Entertained By Najib Supporters Who Stole The Limelight At The Court Today
Social Stories23 hours ago
M’sian Saves Poisoned Dog After It Showed Up At His House Asking For Help