Ever since the Movement Control Order began, university students were in a quandary as their academic just has been unstable. Soon after, online learning started for them and while it was frowned upon, the students accepted it in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. Students most affected by this were final year students who needed to finish their projects and somehow graduate.
Yesterday, the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) announced that all university lectures must be conducted purely online with face to face lessons until the 31st of December. There will be however exceptions given to five academic categories of students.
The five categories are:
- Post-graduate students who are in research mode whether in public or private universities. This relaxation is effective immediately IF the students have to be physically present at the labs, workshops or design studios for specialized equipment.
SUBJECT TO THE CMCO DEADLINE
- Final year undergraduate, postgraduate and diploma students or are required to carry out clinical work, practicals, laboratory work, workshops, work in design studios, or are in need of specialised equipment can have their PDP (Teaching and Learning) on campus starting on the 1st of July.
- Final year students with no internet access and in a non-conducive environment for learning will be allowed to return on the 1st of July as well.
- Students with special needs who participate in the Technical and Vocational Training (TVET) education programme at polytechnics and community colleges who need PDP for their learning difficulties will be allowed from the 1st of August.
- New students public going to all private institutions, polytechnics as well as community colleges, for the certificate, foundation and diploma levels for Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) leavers, as well as the Bachelor’s Degree programme intake for Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia (STPM) leavers and its equivalent will be done in stages.
The students outside this five-category weren’t really pleased with these announcements as their studies are getting delayed and disrupted as well.
While students are allowed to return if their learning environment isn’t conducive, it’s only limited to final year students. Some students even had enquiries if this will mean a reduction in their fees.
“Will the fees be reduced? So many facilities are not being used through online learning and in fact students are spending more for their internet usage.”
“MOHE needs to review this statement. Why not conduct a survey first to get a rough idea on how students are dissatisfied with online learning. I don’t think all students find this situation conducive. Please find a solution that satisfies everyone.”
Here’s their official statement:
While the new SOP will be beneficial to some, we have to admit that there will be students left behind. What do you think of this statement by MOHE? Let us know in the comments section!
MCO 2.0: Here’s A List Of Roadblocks And Closures In Klang Valley So Far
With the implementation of the Movement Control Order (MCO) in six states in Malaysia, interstate and inter-district travel has been...
MOH: 67% Of Malaysians Willing To Get Vaccinated, Registrations Will Open Soon
In December 2020, the Ministry of Health (MOH) conducted a survey to see whether Malaysians are willing to get vaccinated...
“Majority offenders are fathers” More Victims Of Past Child Rape Come Forward During MCO
“There are cases where the mother did not realise the child was being raped and when she finds out, she...
MOH Is Releasing Exact Locations of Clusters & There’s A New One In Selayang Supermarket
For the longest time ever, Malaysians have been asking the Ministry of Health (MOH) to give more information on where...
Video: Sarawakians Terrorised By Monsoon Season With Waist-Deep Flash Floods
Following the announcement of the MCO on Monday night (11 January), Sarawak was struck with bad weather and has been...
Social Stories14 hours ago
Man Claims He Told Wife He Was On Sriwijaya Flight But Was Actually In Bali With His Mistress
News15 hours ago
Mother of Filipino Air Stewardess Slams Official Autopsy Results That Said Her Daughter Wasn’t Raped
Social Stories18 hours ago
Netizens Go Crazy Over Photos of Burmese Actor Who Became A Monk For 10 Days
Tech16 hours ago