A 25-year-old man from northeast China swallowed a cigarette lighter during a drinking session on 24th November.
According to South China Morning Post, the man felt fine at first and even drunk more beer over the next few days. However, on the third day (27th November), he started vomiting and having excruciating stomach pain.
He went to the doctor where he told medical staff that he left the cigarette lighter in his stomach as he assumed it would pass through his body naturally and did not feel the urgency to get medical help. Is it possible for a lighter to pass through your digestive system?
As the doctors were treating him, they could smell lighter fluid from the man’s breath. Using a gastroscope, they found that one end of the lighter was broken.
They also found that the object was surrounded by gastric fluid and parts of the man’s stomach wall had been damaged.
“We first used a pincer and tried several times, but failed to get the lighter out,” one of the doctors said.
“Then I opened a net installed at the front end of the gastroscope to hold the lighter tightly before taking it out.”
“In this process, I had to adjust the angle slowly given that the oesophagus is thin and it’s easy for it to be scratched.”
The doctor then explained that the gastric juices in the man’s stomach may have eaten away at the lighter, causing lighter fluid to leak out and damage the digestive tract, which may result in gastric ulcers, erosions and perforations.
This is not a rare case as this is the fourth time in recent years that this particular hospital has treated a patient who swallowed a lighter.
JUST IN: Swimming Pools Are Now Allowed To Be Open For Water Sports Training
Minister of Defence, Dato’ Sri Ismail Sabri bin Yaakob has just announced in a live broadcast that swimming pools will...
JUST IN: Resorts World Genting Confirms That They Will Be Reopening Starting 19th June!
Guys, this is not a drill. Genting Highlands will officially be reopening by this weekend to the public after an extended closure due...
JUST IN: Setapak Barber Confirmed Positive For Covid-19, 40 Close Contact Cases Identified
In an update from the case of a barber in Setapak allegedly testing positive for Covid-19, our Health Director-General Dr...
JUST IN: Barber in Setapak Suspected To Be Positive For Covid-19 Only After 2 Days of Opening Barbershop
UPDATE: Health Director-General Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah has come forward to mention that the barber’s diagnosis has not been officially...
BREAKING: SPM & STPM Students Will Return To School By 24th June
In his latest live telecast to the Malaysian public, Education Minister Dr. Mohd Radzi bin Md Jidin has announced that...
Tired Of Comparing Prices On Different Websites? This ONE App Helps You Do That, Gives You Cashback & MORE
Nowadays, more and more Malaysians would prefer to do their shopping online rather than in physical stores. This is because...
Stronger, Faster & Smarter: Here’s Why M’sians Can’t Wait to Get the HUAWEI P40 Pro+ Dropping This Friday!
In case you didn’t know, we’re just a couple of days away from the launch of the HUAWEI P40 Pro+...
The New Normal Reveals 6 Things M’sians Do That Unknowingly Help Spread Germs & Bacteria Faster
Life has been a lot more different since the Movement Control Order (MCO) was implemented on 18 March 2020, almost...
- News19 hours ago
Photo of Human-Sized Bats Go Viral and Yes, They Actually Exist
- Current Affairs22 hours ago
Kanye West Announces He Will Be Running For President of America Over Twitter
- Current Affairs22 hours ago
World Famous Cirque Du Soleil Circus Act Officially Declares Bankrupty, Leaves 3,500 People Jobless
- News15 hours ago
Beware: Some Sellers Are Pricing Durians Based On the Car You Drive