Connect with us

News

No More Vehicle Clamping Operations in Kuala Lumpur For Now

Published

No More Vehicle Clamping Operations In Kuala Lumpur For Now - World Of Buzz 4
Source: The Sun Daily

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

So far, the transition of power from the Barisan Nasional government to the Pakatan Harapan government has been fairly smooth but there are bound to be some kinks that need to be straighten out. One of this is the contract for the parking operations in Kuala Lumpur.

No More Vehicle Clamping Operations In Kuala Lumpur For Now - World Of Buzz

Source: malay mail

Following this issue, Mayor Tan Sri Mohd Amin Nordin Abd Aziz has ordered that all clamping operations in Kuala Lumpur will be suspended for now. According to The Star, Mohd Amin has informed that he is having a meeting with Kuala Lumpur MPs next Wednesday (May 30) to resolve this matter.

Apparently, the problem is that the parking contract was given to the operator without open tender and this is why the MPs need to review it. Means the process might not have been transparent enough? They had already met with a few parking operators a few days ago and are now requesting for a meeting with Mohd Amin.

No More Vehicle Clamping Operations In Kuala Lumpur For Now - World Of Buzz 1

Source: the star

Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) said that they had outsource its parking contract to Yayasan Wilayah Persekutuan (YWP), who then hired parking contractor Vista Summerose to do the job. YWP is linked to the Federal Territories Ministry and is the welfare arm of the ministry. 

Mohd Amin warns that suspending clamping operations may cause some hassle on the roads. “On Monday, we won’t be clamping any vehicles but I do anticipate some problems as people will be parking everywhere and obstructing since there will be no enforcement,” he said.

No More Vehicle Clamping Operations In Kuala Lumpur For Now - World Of Buzz 2

Source: nst

However, he said that if the MPs want to terminate the current operator, it won’t be easy as they already have a contract with them. Kepong MP Lim Lip Eng explained that if contracts had been awarded on unreasonable grounds, then it must be reviewed.

Vista Summerose managing director Datuk Nik Haidi Nik Mohamad told The Star that he was aware of the decision to suspend clamping and will abide by it. He expressed concern that the public would park haphazardly and obstruct traffic if the suspension continued.

No More Vehicle Clamping Operations In Kuala Lumpur For Now - World Of Buzz 3

Source: the star

“Clamping is a good way to educate people as it deters them from breaking the law,” he added. Currently, there are about 250,000 cars which park in the city daily but only 80,000 pay for parking. Nik Haidi said if the government wanted to terminate the contract, they would have to pay the company compensation.

Nik Haidi explained, “Two things here. Firstly, DBKL would have to pay compensation to the contractor, which is almost RM100mil. Secondly, what is their alternative? They still have to hire someone else with the technology to the job and it not as easy as it seems,” he added.

“I believe we have done a good job so far; it is a pity that people don’t see that,” Nik Haidi said. It is currently unclear when clamping operations will start again.

Even though there may be no clamping at the moment in Kuala Lumpur, please be civilised and park at proper spots. Be considerate of others on the road!

 

Also read: You Can Actually Park Your Car at Reserved Parking Bays After Business Hours

M'sians Can Actually Park Their Cars At Reserved Parking Bays After Business Hours - World Of Buzz

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Dd Ft 5 Dd Ft 5
News13 hours ago

Melaka Teens as Young as 14 Assault & Strangle Female E-Hailing Driver After Failing to Pay Ride Fare

A female e-hailing driver went through a terrifying ordeal after being beaten by a group of passengers who were suspected...

Dd Ft 3 Dd Ft 3
News2 days ago

MARA Chairman Slams Netizens for Belittling Cadet Pilot Programme Prioritising Tahfiz Students

Recently, Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) announced its decision to offer Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Tahfiz students the opportunity...

Collage 17 Collage 17
News6 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News6 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News7 days ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Collage 14 Collage 14
News1 week ago

19yo M’sian Student Charged with Murder of Woman Found with 61 Stab Wounds, Faces Death Penalty

A college student has been charged at the Kota Bharu Magistrate’s Court today with the murder of 19-year-old Nurfisya Zulkifly...

Collage 13 Collage 13
News1 week ago

PDRM: Several Individuals, Believed to be Drunk, Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery for ‘Glaring’ at Them

A man was assaulted by a group of individuals after reportedly looking in their direction while dining at a restaurant...

Collage 11 Collage 11
News2 weeks ago

PDRM: 11yo Student Who Fell from Melaka School Was Retrieving Peer’s Shoe He Had Thrown on Awning

Police have confirmed that an incident involving a Standard 5 male student, who was injured after falling from a garage...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY