Connect with us

News

M’sia Hall Canteen in London Allegedly Bans Non-M’sians From Dining, Here’s What Happened

Published

Malaysian Community Canteen In London Under Fire For Allegedly Barring Non-M'Sians From Entering Premises - World Of Buzz 1
Source: Kuala Berkshire | Blogspot & Peaches & Donuts | Blogspot

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

Earlier this week, an Instagram post from a London-based Malaysian pastor named David Yeow expressing his concern over the new regulations implemented by London’s Malaysia Hall canteen had been circulating recently.

Malaysia Hall is a community centre located in Queensborough Terrace, London and is operated by the Malaysian High Commission. The canteen serves affordable Malaysian food and is mostly frequented by students or permanent residents who long for a taste of home. Up until recently, non-Malaysians were also allowed into its canteen as long as they were accompanied by Malaysians.

However, according to David Yeow’s post, the entrance to the canteen is now chained up and visitors need to use the Malaysian Embassy’s main entrance, where people have to show their identification to prove that they are Malaysian citizens before being allowed entry.

He added that two French citizens were told by staff that “Malaysia Hall was for Malaysians only” before being turned away.

Seeking an explanation as to why non-Malaysians are not allowed, Yeow asked the receptionist who checked his MyKad. The receptionist told him,

“Malaysian Hall Canteen will only be serving Malaysians from now on. Because this is a diplomatic building with security risks involved and because the food is subsidised by the Malaysian government, it is only fair that only Malaysians get to enjoy it.”

View this post on Instagram

I believe food to be one of the best “ambassadors” for Malaysia, our culture, our hospitality and tourism. So i was very very sad to see the entrance to London’s Malaysian Hall Canteen chained up and a sign posted pointing patrons to use the Embassy’s main entrance. Upon entry we were told to produce ID to prove that we are Malaysians and told of their new policy which started on Monday. “Malaysian Hall Canteen will only be serving Malaysians from now on. Because this is a diplomatic building with security risks involved. AND … because the food is subsidised by the Malaysian government, it is only fair that only Malaysians get to enjoy it”. The receptionist who checked our ID quipped. The canteen operators however objected to this decision but have no say in it. When asked one of them said “They didn’t check with us. We were shocked on Monday to see our entrance locked and now our business is affected, people think we are closed. And it is so sad that our food cannot be enjoyed by the locals and internationals who visit here.” As I am writing this 2 french nationals were turned away by the receptionist. “Malaysian Hall is for Malaysians only” they were told. I personally don’t think this is right. Much appreciated if people can help this post reach the relevant folks who can weigh in properly. #Malaysianfood4all

A post shared by David Yeow (@daveyeow) on

In light of this, foreign minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah was reportedly shocked upon hearing this news, as he was unaware of this alleged new policy, as reported by the Malay Mail.

“I have to check whether there is such a policy or not. I’ll find out. No, I have not heard anything about this. Normally we are quite open. I better find out as soon as possible.”

Well, let’s hope our foreign minister sorts this issue out soon. Everyone should be able to enjoy our food!

 

Also read: Malaysian Astonishingly Travels From Kuala Lumpur to London ONLY By Cycling

The Malaysian Who Pedaled His Way To London - World Of Buzz 7

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Dd Ft 5 Dd Ft 5
News4 hours ago

Melaka Teens as Young as 14 Assault & Strangle Female E-Hailing Driver After Failing to Pay Ride Fare

A female e-hailing driver went through a terrifying ordeal after being beaten by a group of passengers who were suspected...

Dd Ft 3 Dd Ft 3
News1 day ago

MARA Chairman Slams Netizens for Belittling Cadet Pilot Programme Prioritising Tahfiz Students

Recently, Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) announced its decision to offer Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Tahfiz students the opportunity...

Collage 17 Collage 17
News5 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News5 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News6 days ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Collage 14 Collage 14
News1 week ago

19yo M’sian Student Charged with Murder of Woman Found with 61 Stab Wounds, Faces Death Penalty

A college student has been charged at the Kota Bharu Magistrate’s Court today with the murder of 19-year-old Nurfisya Zulkifly...

Collage 13 Collage 13
News1 week ago

PDRM: Several Individuals, Believed to be Drunk, Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery for ‘Glaring’ at Them

A man was assaulted by a group of individuals after reportedly looking in their direction while dining at a restaurant...

Collage 11 Collage 11
News2 weeks ago

PDRM: 11yo Student Who Fell from Melaka School Was Retrieving Peer’s Shoe He Had Thrown on Awning

Police have confirmed that an incident involving a Standard 5 male student, who was injured after falling from a garage...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY