Most of you reading this are probably dying for a vacation to help you forget about work and/or studies just for a little while, but no money lah! Well, fret not because we’ve found a hidden beach paradise in Indonesia that’s budget-friendly, not swarming with tourists AND is irresistibly gorgeous.
We’re referring to the beautiful, unblemished island of Belitung located east of Sumatra! Never heard of Belitung before? Not to worry, because we’ve come up with an incredible list of things you can do there for under RM80:
1. Be completely mesmerised by Danau Kaolin, a.k.a the Blue Lake
What was once a mining area, has since turned into a scenic lake known for its bright blue waters and white mineral deposits. What to expect:
- Take incredible photos amidst the blue and white backdrop no matter what angle you snap from
- Trick your friends into thinking you’re in Antarctica during the dry season when the lake water recedes; this occurrence causes the white mounds to look just like floating icebergs
- Enjoy the soft white sand between your toes or just sit by the lake and contemplate about life
Location: Perawas, Tanjung Pandan, Belitung Regency.
2. Catch a panoramic view of the island from inside a lighthouse
Built in 1882 by the Dutch, this 50-metre high lighthouse situated on Lengkuas Island has been working as a guide for nearby boats for years now. What to expect:
- Climb to the third level of the lighthouse and enjoy a view of the beach down below as well as the crystal clear waters in the distance
- Apply for permission with the guards to camp overnight here and sleep beneath a starry night sky
- Go for a swim and try to spot the multi-coloured fish in the crystal clear waters
Price: Take a boat from Belitung to Lengkuas Island for approximately IDR300,000 (RM88) for 12 pax (roughly RM7 per person).
Location: Lengkuas Island
3. Venture into an abandoned open-pit mineKnown as the Open Pit Kelapa Kampit located at Kik Karak Hill in East Belitung, this location used to be a spot for mining tin ore. It’s a good place to be if you want a break from the beaches. What to expect:
- Get your adrenaline pumping when you take a ride up to the mine through rocky and bumpy pathways
- Enjoy an incredible view of nearby beaches and islands on your way up
- Hike by foot to the top of the hill and get another amazing view overlooking the fields nearby and lake at the bottom
Price: Book an all-purpose vehicle to bring you around the area for about IDR35,000 (RM10)
Location: Gunung Ki Karak, Desa Senyubuk Kelapa Kampit.
4. Enter into a world of colours at Indonesia’s first museum of literature
Known as Museum Kata Andrea Hirata, this colourful little wonderland was inspired by Andrea Hirata’s book ‘The Rainbow Troops‘–a story about a kid growing up and attending a school in the poorest village of Belitung. What to expect:
- Set up in 2010, the heart behind this museum is to inspire visitors to reach for their dreams just as the character in the book did
- This vibrant, rainbow-coloured museum is meant to be a replica of the elementary school that Andrea attended too
- Exhibitions about Belitung’s history, geology, literary art and more can be found here as well
Location: 10, Jalan Laskar Pelangi, Gantung, Belitung Island.
5. Drop by Pulau Batu Garuda and catch the ‘stone eagle’
Another must-visit island and Belitung, you could easily spend an entire day here and have a field of a day admiring the unique granite rock formations. What to expect:
- Amazing snorkelling opportunities amongst colourful fish and live corals in crystal clear blue waters
- Take a picture with the majestic stone eagle made up of larger than life granite rocks stuck together to make up the shape of a (giant) eagle nesting
- Sunbathe in the soft white sand or take a relaxing boat ride around the island
Price: Rent an entire boat for approximately IDR300,000 (RM88) for 12 pax (that’s about RM7 per person)
Location: Pulau Batu Garuda
6. For you coffee lovers out there, visit Warung Kopi Anui for authentic Indonesian coffee
Manggar, the second largest town in Belitung, is known for its abundance of coffee shops although the island doesn’t actually produce any coffee. One well-known shop frequented by locals is Warung Kopi Anui that has been around since 1982. What to expect:
- Quench your thirst with a glass of iced milk coffee made up of creamy, sweetened condensed milk and Indonesian coffee
- Expect a rustic, open-air type space filled with wooden furniture and a super chill
Price: Approximately IDR5,000 (RM1.50)
Location: Jl. Lipat Kajang Mgr, Manggar, East Belitung.
How attractive and inviting do these locations sound? And it’s only the tip of the iceberg!
There’s plenty more of where that came from and if you’re keen to take a trip to Belitung and explore this hidden island, you’ll be glad to know that AirAsia now flies direct to Belitung, Indonesia from Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta for cheap!
In fact, AirAsia members can enjoy an all-in, one-way fare of just RM79 from Kuala Lumpur to Belitung!
Booking period: 19 – 25 August 2019
Travel period: 2 October 2019 – 28 March 2020
So if you’re looking for a budget-friendly holiday with friends and family soon, make sure you book a trip to Belitung with AirAsia ASAP, and maybe admin will see you there too! 😛
Find out more about AirAsia’s promos here!
Yet Another Green Turtle Found Dead In Terengganu, The 11th Carcass This Month Alone!
January 2022 is proving to be one of the deadliest months for green turtles in Terengganu as today, another carcass...
Perhilitan Warns M’sians To NEVER Share Wildlife Sightings Video To Protect Them From Poachers
The Terengganu Department of Wildlife and National Parks (Perhilitan) director, Loo Kean Seong has advised members of the public to...
PM: Government Will NOT Be Enforcing Another Nationwide MCO
The Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob gave an assurance that no Movement Control Order (MCO) nationwide will be...
YDPA Warded In IJN Due To Leg Injury Since Yesterday
The Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah has been warded at the royal ward of the National Heart...
Student In UK Gets Covid-19 For The Fourth Time
The deadly virus has not been easy on all of us. A female student named Wharton from the UK was...
PM: Teachers And KEMAS Staff Are Allowed To Be Involved In Politics Effective Immediately
The government decided to allow teachers and staff of the Training Institute of the Community Development Department (KEMAS) to be...
Johor MB Announces DUN’s Dissolution, State Elections To Be Held Soon
The Menteri Besar of Johor, Datuk Hasni Mohammad has just announced that the Sultan of Johor, Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar...
JUST IN: Johor UMNO Agrees To Hold State Election, MB Meets Sultan Ibrahim To Dissolve DUN
After the recent Melaka and Sarawak State Elections, it seems that yet another state will be dissolving its State Legislative...
Social Stories12 hours ago
Video: Man Kicks Homeless Person In Bukit Bintang While Confiscating His Boxes In Street Clean Up
Social Stories14 hours ago
Lorry Driver Records Motorcyclists Riding Dangerously, Gets Slammed By Other Road Users Instead
Culture12 hours ago
Netizens Are Sending Love To Lee Zii Jia After He ‘Blacked Out’ His Social Media
News10 hours ago
YDPA Warded In IJN Due To Leg Injury Since Yesterday