Connect with us

News

Fire Dept Tells Flood Victims Not to Dispose of Garbage by Burning it Due to Danger of Massive Fires

Published

Ft Fire
Source: Kosmo & Sinar Harian

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

After the flash floods that have recently hit the country, focus has now shifted to the cleaning aspect of the recovery stage. Malaysians have united in helping clean the houses of those affected and public areas which have been ruined by the floods.

However, there have been reports that the waste from the cleanup operations have not been dealt with properly and has made its way back into rivers which is a bad sign as littering was suggested to be one of the main reasons behind the floods in the first place.

Sampah

 

Similarly, there have also been a rise in open burning, as many Malaysians turn to burning their waste. However, Selangor Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) director, Norazam Khamis has advised the public not to burn the piles of flood waste.

He explained that two cases of bulk waste burning had been reported in Kapar, Selangor since Saturday.

Norazam also said that the operation room received a report on flood waste burning that happened at Taman Meranti Mewah around 5:50 pm on Sunday.

“The first machinery from the Kapar Fire and Rescue Station (BBP) arrived at the location at 5.57 pm and found that the fire involved a pile of rubbish and damaged furniture at the location which is estimated to be 278 square meters.”

The fire was brought under control at 7 pm and the operation ended at 7.40 pm. Fortunately, the incident did not involve any victims, said Norazam.

Bomba

 

Public advised to take waste to centres instead

The Selangor state government has opened 11 temporary transfer stations (TS) for bulk waste for the purpose of expediting the cleaning process after the floods.

They have also requested the cooperation of all parties involved in the post-flood clean-up operation in Selangor to dispose of bulk garbage at the designated TS.

In a statement, Selangor local government, public transport and new village development committee chairman, Ng Sze Han said all the TSs are equipped with bulldozers and excavators.

Statement3

 

“The state government has been informed that rubbish has been dumped in public areas such as roadside or areas that are not in the zone under the TSs. The situation complicates as well as delays the clean-up work at the affected locations.”

He explained that KDEB Waste Management or the local authority (PBT) has to clean the area and in turn will delay the waste cleaning operation after the flood.

Therefore, he and the state government hopes that all parties can work together to dispose of rubbish after the flood in the nearby TS.

 

Remember to dispose of your waste responsibly! Do you agree with this? Let us know in the comments.

 

Also read: Watch: Cleaners ‘Clean Up’ Flood Rubbish By Throwing Them Back Into The River

Flood 2

 

Source: Kosmo
Source: Sinar Harian

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Dd Ft 5 Dd Ft 5
News6 hours ago

“You are on my radar” – Yang di-Pertuan Agong Warns Corrupt Officers in MACC & Other Govt Agencies

His Majesty the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Ibrahim has warned that more individuals are now on His Majesty’s “radar” in...

Dd Ft Dd Ft
News10 hours ago

PDRM: Up to 7 Years’ Jail, RM10k Fine for Fireworks Other Than ‘Happy Boom’ & ‘Pop-Pop’ This CNY

The Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) has reminded the public that possessing, selling, buying or setting off firecrackers and fireworks for...

Anwarft 1 Anwarft 1
News23 hours ago

“We can go even further!” – PMX Claims Malaysia Has ‘Extraordinary Potential’ if Governance Stays Clean

Malaysia has extraordinary potential to achieve even faster progress if it continues to be governed effectively and with integrity, said...

Feat Image Ringgit Feat Image Ringgit
News1 day ago

Ringgit Has Gained 14% Against USD, So Why Haven’t Prices Gone Down? Finance Minister II Explains

Finance Minister II Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan has addressed concerns regarding why the prices of goods in Malaysia remain...

Collage 47 Collage 47
News1 day ago

DBKL Raids Multiple Bars on Valentine’s Eve Including in Mont Kiara for Operating Without Licences

Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) uncovered multiple violations at three bars during an enforcement operation. DBKL conducted the operation on...

Feat Image New Source Feat Image New Source
News1 day ago

Malaysia’s New Renewable Power Source: Penang is Turning Pig Waste Into Electricity for Homes Nationwide

Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow recently officiated the launch of a centralised biogas facility in Kampung Valdor, South Seberang...

Collage 45 Collage 45
News1 day ago

Popular Shah Alam Massage Outlet Ordered to Close for Operating Without a Licence, Illegal Workers Detained

A popular Thai massage outlet in Setia Alam, Shah Alam, was raided on Thursday night (12 February) by officers from...

Lrtft Lrtft
News1 day ago

Anthony Loke: Govt Not Planning to Limit Car Ownership Despite Worsening Congestion in Klang Valley

If you’ve found yourself sitting in Klang Valley traffic wondering whether Malaysia might one day limit how many cars people...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY