With the Covid-19 pandemic came the new normal, such as attending online classes instead of physically going to school.
However, according to Fajar, a 10-year-old student named Indrianti Amran in Gowa, Indonesia is believed to have gone blind due to radiation from her mobile phone while she was participating in the online learning system.
It started on 14 November when Indrianti was outside playing with her friends when she suddenly felt a headache. She was told by her friends to go home and rest, to which she complied.
When she woke up the next day, she started losing her eye sight on her left eye.
“Initially, it was just the left eye but it spread to the right eye. The doctor mentioned that the left eye is very severe,” said Indrianti’s grandmother.
Her parents believe that the blindness is caused by cell phone radiation as she is constantly attending online classes.
Can mobile phones really cause blindness?
While so far there has been no conclusive evidence, based on CNet, the blue light from smartphones and laptops can, in fact, accelerate blindness. Being exposed to devices that radiate blue light can damage vision and generate poisonous molecules in the eye’s light-sensitive cells, which can accelerate macular degeneration and other eye diseases.
Continuous use of mobile phones and laptops will cause your eyes to strain and if left unattended, your vision will deteriorate.
Ways to avoid eye problems:
- Take breaks every 20 minutes or so, so your eyes can rest
- Make sure your workstation is properly placed (where there’s no light to cause glare on your screen)
- Make sure the screen is placed 7-10 inches below your horizontal line of sight
- Remember to blink more to moisturise your eyes
- Use ‘glare protectors’ for your screens
There have not been any official reports about what has caused her eye to go blind, there it’s best to take the statement with a pinch of salt. However, do make sure you take necessary care for your vision.
What do you think about this? Let us know in the comment section.