Affectionately known as the ‘Jewel of Kedah’, Langkawi is a hotspot for anyone looking for an authentic island getaway right here in Malaysia. Boasting pristine beaches, crystal clear water and natural formations, the island is a paradise for anyone looking for a welcomed respite from the hustle and bustle of city life. If you haven’t yet visited this beautiful destination (or planning another trip soon), here are 5 things you MUST do!
And in case you’re wondering, we’re not featuring popular landmarks such as the Langkawi Sky Bridge and Dataran Helang since everybodyyy knows about it already. Without further ado, let’s get right to it!
1. Kayak through the mangroves as you take in the sights and sounds of natureIf you’ve visited Langkawi before but have yet to fully immerse yourself in its nature, taking a kayak or a boat tour through the mangroves is an experience you’re sorely missing out on!
Here’s what to expect:
- Professional guides will take you through the entire experience pointing out various points of interest as you take in the breathtaking sceneries.
- Part of the tour includes a visit to a fish farm and even a bat cave where you’ll be able to get up close and personal with these nocturnal creatures.
- Spot eagles, monkeys, birdlife of varying species, and traverse million-year-old limestone caves as you tour the Kilim Karst Geoforest Park.
2. Catch the sunset with a loved one as you sway to atmospheric musicNo trip to Langkawi is complete without a visit to Cenang Beach, a popular tourist hotspot boasting water activities, laid-back bars, and picture-perfect sunsets.
What to do:
- Grab a drink and watch the sunset with a loved one at one of the beach bars that line the beach.
- We recommend checking out Yellow Beach Cafe for its relaxed setting and atmospheric music. They even have bean bags for you to relax on right on the beach!
- Water sports of various types including jet-skiing, banana boat rides, parasailing, and other adrenaline-pumping activities.
- Take part in beach games with the locals and be entertained by fire shows at bars such as Kalut Cafe Bar and Low Wrong Bar.
3. Go on an island-hopping adventureLet’s face it, it wouldn’t be a beach vacation without fully exploring neighbouring islands and the pristine beaches that come with it. Thankfully, Langkawi has loads to offer.
What to expect:
- A boat ride costs upwards of RM80 which fits a total of 8 to 20 people depending on the boat size. You can hire a boat from the jetty located at Pantai Tengah.
- One of the most popular stops is Pulau Dayang Bunting which houses the Lake of the Pregnant Maiden. Fun fact, the lake was even featured in the Phua Chu Kang movie!
- Interestingly, the lake was formed when the surface of an underwater cave collapsed and subsequently filled with water.
- Also, despite the island being surrounded by the sea, the lake is purely freshwater.
- Other must-visit islands include Pulau Payar Marine Park and Pulau Beras Basah due to its marine life and white-sand beaches.
4. Get your adrenaline pumping as you zip line across the forestIf you’re an adrenaline junkie and love surrounding yourself in nature then a visit to Skytrex Adventure Park should top your to-do list.
What to expect:
- The park is located within the pristine enclosure of Burau Bay and featuring over 12 ziplines to explore with varying levels of intensity.
- The challenges include flying fox obstacles, suspension bridges, cable walks, and other exciting activities.
- Depending on your fitness level, some obstacles can be pretty challenging. Do expect to be doing a lot of climbing and bring along mosquito repellent to ward off insects.
- Be sure to also book your tickets online as they are cheaper starting at RM45 for the beginner level, RM55 for the intermediate level, and RM65 for the extreme level.
5. Keep an eye out for exciting eventsIt’s no secret that Langkawi also plays host to plenty of memorable events regularly. Taking part in one is sure to offer a unique experience like no other.
Here a few to look out for in the future:
- Taking place once every two years, Langkawi International Maritime And Aerospace Exhibition (LIMA) features air shows, maritime demonstrations, while bringing top decision-makers together for a series of insightful roundtables, conferences and more.
- Ironman Malaysia, an annual triathlon usually taking place on the island. It features a gruelling 3.8km swim, 180km bike, and 42.2km run.
- The Langkawi International Bird Festival which celebrates the wide range of birds, butterflies, and wildlife in Langkawi. The festival includes nature walks at Gunung Raya Mountain, workshops, and talks by renowned naturalists.
One of the highlights of the event is the full-day workshops where you’ll be given a hands-on experience as you learn social media practices, short cuts, tools, and techniques specially curated just for you.
Psst! We hear that distinguished speakers are going to be present! Here are a few we know so far:
Shane Dallas – founder of #TRLT & Travel Photographer
Jim Guzman – Network Head of Social Media, Dentsu Aegis Network, Phillippines
Rhys William – Content Creator and Digital Marketer
Ashley Ong – Certified Google Ads Trainer & Certified HRDF Trainer
Kiruba Shankar – CEO of Business Blogging Director of F5ive Technologiesand many more!
So, what exactly are we talking about?
Better yet, we’re excited to announce that we’re giving away 10 tickets to this exciting event which includes a 20% off Air Asia Promo. Only 5 lucky winners will be given a pair of tickets to experience the event together with a friend, so don’t miss out!
Part of the event also features a KOL trip where you’ll be given a fully-sponsored trip around various Langkawi destinations. Hey, maybe you’ll meet a few of your favourite Malaysian celebrities on it too 😉
Find out more about this exciting contest here.
And don’t forget to check out the Langkawi Social Media Week to see how you can benefit from this exciting event.
What are some of your favourite Langkawi travel gems? Sound off in the comments below!
Malaysia Scraps Mandatory Rule of Wearing Face Masks on All Flights To & From The Country
Back on September 7, the government announced that the requirement to wear face masks in an outdoor public setting would...
WATCH: Motorcyclist Crashes into Signboard & Breaks Leg When Evading Proton Saga That Suddenly Swerved
Many people can operate their vehicles and get around easily. But to do that while following traffic rules and practising...
Watch Out, Toll Jumpers! The Authorities Are Now Regularly Detecting You
One of the latest bad habits that Malaysians have picked up is jumping tolls. This is when one decides to...
M’sian Drives His Car Into 2 Men After Feeling Dissatisfied About a Fight in a Bar
It is always scary being around people who get violent and aggressive when they are angry because their actions become...
Over 7,000kgs of Human Trash Have Been Left Behind On Mars
As humans, we’ve gotten used to leaving our rubbish and trash behind at places we go to. It’s all part...
Kelantan Scammer Targets People At Hospitals, Asking For Money For His ‘Wife’s Maternity Bills’
Scammers are now using maternity bills as a way to target potential victims at hospitals and clinics in Kelantan. This...
Ebit Lew Case: Victim Refuses to Lodge Report as Ebit Lew is a “Big Deal” & She’s Just a “Small Figure”
The trial for Ebit Lew’s alleged sexual harassment case continues today (September 27), and one of the witnesses had something...
Father and Son Killed in Motorcycle Crash Caused by Jungle Fowl’s Sudden Road Crossing
One minute we could be talking and laughing in the car heading to dinner, and the next we could become...
Social Stories24 hours ago
WATCH: S’porean Uncle Asks M’sian To Go Back To Malaysia & Stop Earning SGD
Events & Places19 hours ago
Pavilion Group’s Low-Profile Tycoon Buys Over 3.25 Acres of Land Where Iconic Hakka Restaurant Sits On
Social Stories21 hours ago
M’sian Says She Only Wants To Marry a Man Who Already Has a Wife, Netizens Advice Against It
Social Stories24 hours ago
RM5 Nasi Lemak with Generous Portion of Meat Said to Be Expensive, Penang Vendor Responds