Hot springs are known to be good for the body as they help boost blood circulation, reduce stress, promote sleep and even heal skin problems, but did you know that the warmth of the water in hot springs also gives bacteria the perfect temperature to breed in?
According to Oriental Daily, an old man in his 70’s almost died when brain-eating amoeba was found in his brain after going to a hot spring.
The Taiwanese man was reported to have a sudden headache a few days after his visit to the hot spring, but he dismissed the symptom and thought that he just had a cold.
After a week of taking medicine for his cold, he still did not get better and even developed a fever. The old man then went to the hospital for further examination.
As the doctors were about to check him, he suddenly had a seizure, but after finding out that the man had no history of epilepsy, the doctors sent him for a lumbar puncture test to see if his brain was inflamed or infected.
Results of the test showed that there were many Naegleria fowleri – also known as brain-eating amoeba – in his brain! The man then revealed that he had gone to a hot spring a few days ago and had contracted the brain-eating amoeba that almost killed him.
This is because the amoeba likes to live in a warm freshwater environment and can even live in waters with temperatures up to 46°C and higher.
So, when people swim in bodies of water like hot springs, lakes and rivers, these amoeba are able to enter their brains through their noses, causing meningitis which can lead to irreversible damage to the brain tissue.
What’s scary about this is that initial symptoms seem normal and are often ignored, leading to delayed treatment. And when the patient is finally diagnosed, it could be too late to be treated as the fatality rate is extremely high!
Although this situation is quite rare in Taiwan, other countries such as the United States have recorded many similar cases. People are advised to avoid dunking their heads in large bodies of water to prevent amoeba from entering their nasal passage.
If you have symptoms of fever, headache, nausea, or vomiting after going into large bodies of water, you should probably seek immediate medical help.
Govt: Misleading Ads Are Prohibited, Action Can Be Taken Against Advertisers
Have you ever saw a food ad, got tempted by it how awesome it looks, went to buy the food...
Malaysian Couple Who Rescues Injured Animals Seeks To Get Rid Of Social Stigma Surrounding Dogs
For the past eight years, 28-year-old Nurul Ain Abdul Hamid and her husband, Muhammad Razeef Che Samah, have been rescuing...
Malaysian Exposed By UK Tabloid For Intl Human Organ Trading Arrested in Kuching
The man who was recently exposed by The Sun in the UK for illegally selling human organs in the international...
Limit on Hiring Foreign Workers In Malaysia To Be Lifted, But Local Workers Should Be Prioritised
On 29 July, it was made official that foreign workers are limited to working in only three sectors which are...
“I Thought It Was A Doll!” Shocked Passerby Finds Body Of Baby With Umbilical Cord Still Intact In Sabah
Disclaimer: Graphic images, viewer discretion is advised. The body of a poor little baby boy was found after he was...
- Current Affairs9 hours ago
4-year-old Kedah Girl Dies After Father Forgets and Leaves Her In The Car For 10 Hours
- News9 hours ago
M’sian Reveals How He Got Kicked Out Of Rented Subang Unit Once Owner Found Out He Was Indian
- News5 hours ago
Woman Denied Entrance Into Kuala Lumpur Library For Wearing A “Revealing Blouse”
- Current Affairs6 hours ago
Pharmaceutical Company, Pfizer, Is Reported To Have Successfully Produced A Vaccine for Covid-19