Think smartphones will only explode when connected to a charging cable? Well, think again.
On 26 March, a woman’s phone that was not plugged into any power source suddenly exploded when she was asleep. Worse still, the phone was placed just beside her pillow! This incident happened in Segamat, Johor at around 4.30am.
In an interview with Sinchew, the 58-year-old woman told reporters that she went to bed at 4am and half an hour later, a loud bang similar to the sound of firecrackers woke her up. Her vision was blurry at that time and she could only see bright sparks in the dark.
“I woke up with a shock and naturally, I pushed the object on fire away from me,” the victim said.
After switching on the light, she realised that her phone had suddenly exploded and there was some black powder-like substance coming out from the device while it was still spinning on the floor. Her hair clip, bed sheet and the floor got burnt as a result of the fire.
“I usually put my phone beside my pillow when I’m sleeping but I never charge it because I read from the newspaper that charging the phone overnight or using it while charging would result in an explosion.
“If I was deeply asleep that time, things could’ve been a lot worse,” she added.
It was understood that she has been using the same phone for six years. From the picture below, the device looks like an iPhone but this has not been confirmed. Using herself as an example, she urged members of the public to learn from her experience and not to put their smartphones close to the bed.
We’re glad that no one was injured in this incident. We understand that it may be hard for some of us to detach ourselves from our phones during the daytime, but do remember to keep it far away when you’re asleep!
Najib Postpones Trip To Singapore To Help UMNO With Melaka State Elections In Zahid’s Absence
Datuk Seri Najib Razak has postponed his trip to Singapore so that he can help UMNO in the Melaka State...
Still Riding E-Scooters On The Road? Then Get Ready To Be Fined Up To RM1,000 Or Jailed For 3 Months
Just recently, the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) had prohibited any cycling activities on the highway without approval from the Malaysian...
Sultan Of Johor Disappointed In Residents Who Threw Rubbish In Drains & Rivers Causing Flood
The Sultan of Johor, Ibrahim Ismail Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar Al-Haj, has expressed disappointment with the people in the community...
KJ: 80% Of Adolescents In M’sia Have Received 1 Dose Of The Vaccine In Less Than 2 Months
Back in August, teenagers aged 12-17 started receiving their Covid-19 vaccines following the revised recommendation from the Health Director-General Dr Noor...
Almost 1,000 People In Melaka Affected By The Flood After 4-Hour Downpour
The monsoon season is expected to begin in November and is forecasted to last until March 2022. However, episodes of...
Thousands Of South Korean Union Workers Dressed In ‘Squid Game’ Costumes Rally For Job Security
The Squid Game hype looks like it is here to stay, and has already impacted the world in a variety...
M’sian Researchers From UniSZA Create One Of The First Apps to Help Rehabilitate Drug Addicts
Malaysia over the past few months has seen numerous amounts of accidents which were caused by drivers who were high...
MACC Officers Run Out Of Courthouse To Avoid Media After Being Charged With Corruption
Two Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officers ran out of the Sessions Court, allegedly to avoid media personnel, after being charged...
News11 hours ago
Lorry Squeezes Through Narrow Lane In Putrajaya & Collides With 10 Cars Parked On The Road
News12 hours ago
KJ: Fully Vaccinated Elderly Who Received Sinovac Will Get Pfizer Booster Shots
Social Stories8 hours ago
M’sian Shares “Facts” About Living In S. Korea on TikTok, Netizens Annoyed Because It’s Too Real
Travel11 hours ago
Fully Vaccinated Malaysians Can Travel To Thailand WITHOUT Quarantine From 1 November Onwards