Warning: Graphic images are included in this article
Clearly, someone didn’t take their safety lessons seriously.
A 25-year-old woman sustained very severe burns after using her handphone at a petrol station in Setapak Indah.
She was using her handphone whilst filling petrol when the accident occurred. While filling up her tank, she opened the left hind door and bent over to reach to the driver’s seat to grab her phone, report Orietal Daily.
Image source: Oriental Daily
She suffered burns to 60 per cent of her body after it was engulfed in flames.
“A spark ignited from the pump and triggered a reaction with her handphone,” said Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department operations chief Samsol Maarif Saibani.
Firemen were alerted of the incident at 1.25pm and deployed five personnel from the Wangsa Maju Fire and Rescue Department.
Numerous signs can be found at petrol stations warning customers against using their handphone devices on-site, especially when filling up petrol as it could trigger a fire. However, clearly not all these signs are regarded.
Petrol Dealers Association Malaysia president Datuk Hashim Othman said static electricity could cause sparks to occur and this could have led to a fire or explosion due to the fumes in the air.
“The same goes for a running car engine which might also emit sparks. This is why drivers should turn off their engines when refuelling, and smoking or lighting a fire is definitely a big no in the premises.
“We have been educating the public about the fire hazards but somehow, this is still happening,” he said.
Just last week a little boy got burnt after playing with a lighter while his mom was filling up petrol.
Govt: Misleading Ads Are Prohibited, Action Can Be Taken Against Advertisers
Have you ever saw a food ad, got tempted by it how awesome it looks, went to buy the food...
Malaysian Couple Who Rescues Injured Animals Seeks To Get Rid Of Social Stigma Surrounding Dogs
For the past eight years, 28-year-old Nurul Ain Abdul Hamid and her husband, Muhammad Razeef Che Samah, have been rescuing...
Malaysian Exposed By UK Tabloid For Intl Human Organ Trading Arrested in Kuching
The man who was recently exposed by The Sun in the UK for illegally selling human organs in the international...
Limit on Hiring Foreign Workers In Malaysia To Be Lifted, But Local Workers Should Be Prioritised
On 29 July, it was made official that foreign workers are limited to working in only three sectors which are...
“I Thought It Was A Doll!” Shocked Passerby Finds Body Of Baby With Umbilical Cord Still Intact In Sabah
Disclaimer: Graphic images, viewer discretion is advised. The body of a poor little baby boy was found after he was...
- Current Affairs9 hours ago
4-year-old Kedah Girl Dies After Father Forgets and Leaves Her In The Car For 10 Hours
- News9 hours ago
M’sian Reveals How He Got Kicked Out Of Rented Subang Unit Once Owner Found Out He Was Indian
- News5 hours ago
Woman Denied Entrance Into Kuala Lumpur Library For Wearing A “Revealing Blouse”
- Current Affairs6 hours ago
Pharmaceutical Company, Pfizer, Is Reported To Have Successfully Produced A Vaccine for Covid-19