The World Health Organization issued a warning on Friday on a “new and dangerous phase” of the Covid-19 pandemic as people are starting to become complacent with curfews and movement controls as the virus continues to spread.
The virus that initially appeared in China around December last year, has now killed more than 450,000 people worldwide and infected over 8 million people.
It is no doubt that the curfews put in place to curb the spread of this deadly disease weakens the economy, but the World Health Organization continues to warn us that the pandemic is still a major threat to the world’s population.
The number of new cases reported Thursday “were the most in a single day so far” at 150,000, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press conference from the agency’s Geneva headquarters.
“Many people are understandably fed up with being at home. Countries are understandably eager to open up their societies and economies. But the virus is still spreading fast. It is still deadly and most people are still susceptible.”
Currently, the outbreak in the United States is the worst in the world, with approximately 2.1 million people infected and around 118,000 dead.
Tedros also emphasized that world leaders and the public need to exercise extreme vigilance against the virus.
“Continue maintaining your distance from others. Stay home if you feel sick. Keep covering your nose and mouth when you cough. Wear a mask when appropriate. Keep cleaning your hands,” he said.
“Covid-19 has demonstrated that no one is safe until we are all safe,” he said. “Only by putting politics aside and working in true collaboration can we make a difference.”