No wonder our Malaysian MPs always fall asleep lah..
With the reconvening of Parliament after the Covid-19 pandemic postponed the current session, the Malaysian Legislative body finally resumes its function.
Although our Parliament never resorted to fist fights like in Taiwan as reported here, the events in the Malaysian Dewan Rakyat has a lot of talking points that would keep us occupied for days.
Well, if we were to make a comparison between Malaysian House of Parliament with the rest of the world, one thing will definitely stand out:
Our Parliament is super duper comfortable!
Here’s some photos of Parliaments across the world and our very own for you to judge for yourself:
1. The House of Commons in the United Kingdom
The equivalent to Malaysia’s Dewan Rakyat, the House of Commons serves as the lower house of Parliament of United Kingdom.
According to the UK’s Parliament official website, the current Commons’ layout is influenced by the original St. Stephen’s Chapel in the Palace of Westminster with several symbolism, including:
- The rectangular shape is derived from the shape of the chapel.
- Benches were arranged using the configuration of the chapel’s choir stalls whereby they were facing across from one another.
- The distance across the floor between the government and opposition benches is 3.96 m, equivalent to the length of 2 swords.
So little space weh! No wonder UK has gone fot a virtual Parliament amidst the pandemic.
2. Canada’s House of Commons
Canada’s equivalent to the Dewan Rakyat, The House of Commons of Canada or the Chambre des communes du Canada in French (most of Canadians are French speakers) is the lower chamber of the bicameral Parliament of Canada.
Interesting facts about the House of Commons of Canada:
- It was established in 1867, when the Constitution Act, 1867 created the Dominion of Canada and was modelled on the British House of Commons.
- Although the lower house, it holds more power than the upper house, the Senate in practice.
- Canada’s Cabinet is responsible solely to the House of Commons and not the Senate.
- The Prime Minister will stay in office as long as they retain the”confidence”, of the lower house.
3. The Parliament of Singapore
Unlike the others in this list, Singapore’s Parliament is quite unique. Firstly, it doesn’t have an upper or lower house. Therefore it is unicameral, whereby all MPs make up a single chamber.
Here are some things to note:
- At present, there can be a maximum of 105 MPs.
- 93 are elected by the people while up to 12 Non-constituency Members of Parliament (NCMPs), according to the country’s Constitution.
- There can also be up to 9 Nominated MPs.
4. Malaysia’s Dewan Rakyat
Okay, if we directly compare our lower house of Parliament to the rest on the list, you can see how spacious Dewan Rakyat really is.
I mean, the distance between MPs’ seats are almost far enough to abide by social distancing rules! Though, technically however it does not.
The space and coziness of the Dewan Rakyat is so nice that it has been reported that some MPs in the past have complained for it being too cold such as in this report by Astro Awani.
It has also been the reason behind this viral photos of MPs falling asleep in Parliament in the past:
Not gonna lie, if it were us in Parliament we’d fall asleep too because it looks so cozy. But then again, we’re just a marhaen and not an MP.
What do you guys think of this comparison? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!
JUST IN: YDPA REJECTS Implementing Darurat, Reminds Politicians To Focus On National Stability
For the past few days, Malaysia has been engulfed in a state of uncertainty with our government Cabinet agreeing to...
CMCO For KL, Selangor & Putrajaya May Be Extended If Numbers Continue To Rise
Health Director-General Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah envisioned that the current Controlled Movement Control Order (CMCO) imposed in Selangor,...
Man Found Dead Inside Locked Car At Tapah R&R
This is so tragic! Hopefully, the authorities will be able to investigate the cause of death so that his family...
PDRM Tracking Down Lorry Driver Involved In Hit-And-Run That Killed A Firefighter In Puchong
Hopefully the police will find the lorry driver soon! The Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) are currently on the hunt for...
Two People Pretend To Be Cops & Steal A Police Vehicle From IPD Seberang Perai Utara
Equipped with only a laptop, two brothers managed to convince a policeman at the Seberang Perai Utara District Police Headquarters...
Social Stories13 hours ago
Myvi Runs Red Light & Slams Into Honda, Causing It To Flip Over
Social Stories12 hours ago
Mukbang YouTuber Loses 44Kgs In 500 Days After Going On A Transformation Diet
News22 hours ago
MOH: Malaysia Expects to Get Covid-19 Vaccine In The First Quarter of 2021
Social Stories7 hours ago
The Two Little Girls Fighting In A Viral TikTok Video Are Actually Siblings!