A two-year-old boy’s brain was impaled by a sharp wooden stick when he accidentally fell on it while eating a sausage.
According to Oriental Daily, the incident happened in Quijing City, China. The boy’s mother had bought him fried sausage from a street food stall when they were out shopping together on 20th October.
However, while he was eating it, he accidentally fell, which caused the sharp wooden stick to pierce through his throat and into his brains. The boy suffered serious injuries and was brought to the hospital where he began having high fever and breathing difficulties.
The hospital immediately sought the expertise from seven different departments to come up with a surgical plan, and successfully removed the stick in a three-hour operation.
However, the boy is still in a very fragile condition as the stick was pierced so far, it reached his medulla oblongata, located in the brain stem. He also contracted a fever caused by bacterial meningitis – an inflammation of the membranes (meninges) surrounding the brain and spinal cord.
The pediatrician said that the stick was pierced more than 5cm into the boy’s brain. It had entered his medulla oblongata which is easily the most important part of the brain.
It connects our brain and our spinal cord with most of our sensory and motor fibres, and is responsible for the regulation of breathing, heart and blood vessel function, digestion, sneezing, and swallowing.
The doctor said that if the stick had been pierced any further, the boy would most probably have died on the spot.
An oral and maxillofacial surgeon said that the surgery was not difficult, but it involved great risks including bleeding, cerebrospinal fluid leakage and intracranial infection.
Currently, the little boy is undergoing anti-infective treatment for the bacterial meningitis and has been put on a ventilator.
If you’re a parent, keep a watchful eye on them and don’t let your child hold sharp objects that could potentially cause harm to them.
JUST IN: Swimming Pools Are Now Allowed To Be Open For Water Sports Training
Minister of Defence, Dato’ Sri Ismail Sabri bin Yaakob has just announced in a live broadcast that swimming pools will...
JUST IN: Resorts World Genting Confirms That They Will Be Reopening Starting 19th June!
Guys, this is not a drill. Genting Highlands will officially be reopening by this weekend to the public after an extended closure due...
JUST IN: Setapak Barber Confirmed Positive For Covid-19, 40 Close Contact Cases Identified
In an update from the case of a barber in Setapak allegedly testing positive for Covid-19, our Health Director-General Dr...
JUST IN: Barber in Setapak Suspected To Be Positive For Covid-19 Only After 2 Days of Opening Barbershop
UPDATE: Health Director-General Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah has come forward to mention that the barber’s diagnosis has not been officially...
BREAKING: SPM & STPM Students Will Return To School By 24th June
In his latest live telecast to the Malaysian public, Education Minister Dr. Mohd Radzi bin Md Jidin has announced that...
Tired Of Comparing Prices On Different Websites? This ONE App Helps You Do That, Gives You Cashback & MORE
Nowadays, more and more Malaysians would prefer to do their shopping online rather than in physical stores. This is because...
Stronger, Faster & Smarter: Here’s Why M’sians Can’t Wait to Get the HUAWEI P40 Pro+ Dropping This Friday!
In case you didn’t know, we’re just a couple of days away from the launch of the HUAWEI P40 Pro+...
The New Normal Reveals 6 Things M’sians Do That Unknowingly Help Spread Germs & Bacteria Faster
Life has been a lot more different since the Movement Control Order (MCO) was implemented on 18 March 2020, almost...
- Features19 hours ago
72-Year-Old Malaysian Opens His Barber Shop For One Last Time After Operating Since 1990
- Society23 hours ago
Can’t Find A Job? JobStore’s Survey Reveals The Top 10 Most In-Demand Jobs After MCO
- Lifestyle21 hours ago
PHOTOS: This Might Be The Most Instagram-Worthy Starbucks Outlet In Malaysia!
- Culture18 hours ago
Under Armour Launches Sports Mask Designed To Wear While Exercising