A 21-year-old English commercial airline pilot trainee had died after she was bitten by a mosquito on her forehead, causing an infection to spread to her brain.
Based on a report by BBC, the young pilot-in-training had passed away just 5 days after she was bitten, in Antwerp, Belgium.
Following the bite, Oriana Pepper was rushed to a hospital’s emergency department as the bite, next to her right eye, had become swollen and infected.
She was given antibiotics before she was sent home, but she was once again rushed to the hospital 2 days later after she had fainted. She then passed away at the hospital 3 days later.
The cause of her death was recorded as septic emboli in her brain, which obstructs bloods vessels, with a bacterial infection called staphylococcus aureus caused by the insect bite.
Suffolk’s senior coroner, Nigel Parsley shared just how rare such incidents are as he concluded her death as “a result of a serious infection caused by an insect bite to the forehead”.
“I’ve never seen a case like this before. It’s just one of those things that’s just such an unfortunate tragedy for a young lady who clearly had a wonderful career and life ahead of her,” he added.
With this in mind, we hope that you take precautions at home against the breeding of mosquitoes and being bitten by them too!
What do you think about this? Let us know in the comment section.
Also read: Father In China Breaks Down After Tutoring Son For A Year & He Scores 6/100 In Finals