Connect with us

News

Driver Loses Control of His Mercedes and Crashes Into Century-Old Building in Penang

Published

Dd Ft 91
Source: China Press

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

A man in his 60s lost control of his Mercedes-Benz and ended up crashing into a 100-year-old building in Penang.

According to China Press, the crash happened around 12:45AM today (August 1) while he was driving from Kampung Jawa toward Bagan Luar.

Screenshot 2025 08 01 161455

“We hope to preserve this 60-year-old shop”

The driver reportedly slammed into a decades-old goldsmith shop, sustaining injuries to his hands and legs. He was later taken to the hospital for treatment, and no other casualties were reported.

The impact caused significant damage to the shop as one of its entrances was destroyed, shattered glass covered the floor, and a large hole was left in the wall.

The front of the Mercedes was also badly damaged, with the bumper and side mirrors torn off and left scattered on the ground.

According to the manager (who is also the founder’s daughter-in-law), the gold shop has been around for 60 years. Fortunately, the display area and counters inside weren’t affected by the crash.

“We’re currently waiting for the official safety assessment and the landlord’s decision. Hopefully, we can preserve this 60-year-old shop. But if the structure is deemed unsafe for business, we’ll start looking at other options,” she said.

Screenshot 2025 08 01 161508

A structural safety inspection has been called for

Following the incident, Bagan Dalam assemblyman visited the site on Friday morning (August 1) and reached out to the Seberang Perai Mayor to request that city council departments clean up the area and carry out a structural safety inspection.

He pointed out that many of the pre-war buildings in the area were built using red bricks rather than modern cement, making them structurally fragile and a potential safety hazard.

He added that he had previously written to the city council, calling for a meeting with the owners of these heritage buildings to discuss safety precautions.

Screenshot 2025 08 01 161442

“The departments involved will include the Licensing Unit, Technical Unit, and Urban Planning Unit. The aim is to have in-depth discussions with shop owners about the structural safety of these pre-war buildings,” he said.

He also said that in light of this latest crash, he would push for the city council to fast-track the meeting.

 

What are your thoughts on this? Let us know down in the comments!

 

Also read: 16yo Dies After Being Hit by Axia Driven by Police Officer Who Allegedly Ran Red Light in Kedah

Dd Ft 88

Source: China Press
Source: China Press
Source: China Press

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Collage 17 Collage 17
News4 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News4 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News5 days ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Collage 14 Collage 14
News6 days ago

19yo M’sian Student Charged with Murder of Woman Found with 61 Stab Wounds, Faces Death Penalty

A college student has been charged at the Kota Bharu Magistrate’s Court today with the murder of 19-year-old Nurfisya Zulkifly...

Collage 13 Collage 13
News6 days ago

PDRM: Several Individuals, Believed to be Drunk, Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery for ‘Glaring’ at Them

A man was assaulted by a group of individuals after reportedly looking in their direction while dining at a restaurant...

Collage 11 Collage 11
News1 week ago

PDRM: 11yo Student Who Fell from Melaka School Was Retrieving Peer’s Shoe He Had Thrown on Awning

Police have confirmed that an incident involving a Standard 5 male student, who was injured after falling from a garage...

Collage 9 Collage 9
News2 weeks ago

11yo Falls From Melaka School Building While Retrieving Shoe Allegedly Thrown Onto Awning by a Peer

A Standard Five male student from a primary school in Batu Berendam, Melaka, was injured after falling from the first-floor...

Dd Ft 17 Dd Ft 17
News2 weeks ago

“I forgive him” – Father of 8yo Girl Fatally Struck Near Johor School Urges Public Not to Blame Van Driver

An 8-year-old student was fatally struck in front of Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Seri Maimon in Parit Sulong, Batu Pahat, Johor,...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY