Connect with us

News

Azmin Ali: State Govts Not Complying to CMCO Are Going Against The Law & Can Face Legal Action

Published

Hasty
Source: Malay Mail & Malay Mail

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

The conditional movement control order (CMCO) started on 4 May, but there are nine states that are not complying with the CMCO and have decided not to open businesses in the respective states.

However, Senior Minister Datuk Seri Azmin Ali has urged these state governments to comply with the CMCO as they could face legal action from the affected industries, according to FMT.

He added that the state governments have no right to go against the law instructed by the Federal Government as the policy has already been gazetted under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 (Act 342).

Azmin Ali 11032020

Furthermore, he denied that the Federal Government had implemented the CMCO without consulting the state Mentris Besar and Chief Minister and said that the standard operating procedures (SOP) had been given to them in advance.

He mentioned that a consensus was agreed upon during a meeting with the prime minster on 28 April.

“At the meeting, the findings were presented for discussion with the Mentris Besar and Chief Ministers,” he said.

“Based on the discussions during the meeting, the state governments realised that should the MCO continue until June 2020, the cumulative loss of the national income was estimated to reach RM146bil or a shortfall of 10.3% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).”

“This would wipe out the economic success that has been achieved for the last four years. In this regard, the meeting agreed to reopen the economic sectors during the conditional MCO beginning May 4.”

“For purposes of clarification, the SOPs were given to all state governments on May 2, that is, before the enforcement of the conditional MCO.”

Shin Ngien Pawnshop 2020504

Azmin said the decision to reopen the economic sectors under the conditional MCO was made after much consultation with the Finance Ministry, Miti, Bank Negara and Khazanah Nasional Bhd, reported The Star.

Azmin then said that the CMCO is not the same as phase one, two, three and four of the MCO as there is “leeway given for its implementation.”

“This is to enable almost all economic sectors to restart in a controlled and prudent setting,” he said.

“The allegation that the government restarted the economy hastily is false and baseless.”

He added that the state governments must acknowledge the views of various bodies, including the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) and Malay Chamber of Commerce, which insisted that it did not stop companies wanting to resume operations from 4 May.

However on 3 May, Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob clarified that the states will not be forced to implement the CMCO in its entirety and are allowed to make adjustments according to their needs, reported Malay Mail.

 

Also read: 9 States In Malaysia That Are Not Complying With The Conditional Movement Control Order

Pjimage 2020 05 04T103803

Source: Malay Mail
Source: Malay Mail

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Dd Ft 3 Dd Ft 3
News20 hours ago

MARA Chairman Slams Netizens for Belittling Cadet Pilot Programme Prioritising Tahfiz Students

Recently, Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) announced its decision to offer Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Tahfiz students the opportunity...

Collage 17 Collage 17
News5 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News5 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News6 days ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Collage 14 Collage 14
News7 days ago

19yo M’sian Student Charged with Murder of Woman Found with 61 Stab Wounds, Faces Death Penalty

A college student has been charged at the Kota Bharu Magistrate’s Court today with the murder of 19-year-old Nurfisya Zulkifly...

Collage 13 Collage 13
News7 days ago

PDRM: Several Individuals, Believed to be Drunk, Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery for ‘Glaring’ at Them

A man was assaulted by a group of individuals after reportedly looking in their direction while dining at a restaurant...

Collage 11 Collage 11
News2 weeks ago

PDRM: 11yo Student Who Fell from Melaka School Was Retrieving Peer’s Shoe He Had Thrown on Awning

Police have confirmed that an incident involving a Standard 5 male student, who was injured after falling from a garage...

Collage 9 Collage 9
News2 weeks ago

11yo Falls From Melaka School Building While Retrieving Shoe Allegedly Thrown Onto Awning by a Peer

A Standard Five male student from a primary school in Batu Berendam, Melaka, was injured after falling from the first-floor...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY