Connect with us

News

Oversupply in M’sia Property Market Forces Govt to Freeze Luxury Developments

Published

Oversupply In M'Sia Property Market Forces Govt To Freeze Luxury Developments - World Of Buzz 4
Source: Booking.com

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

If you’re interested in buying properties then you should take note! Recently, a report by Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) has warned citizens that residential properties in Malaysia are in oversupply, which has caused an alarm in the property market. As a result, the government has taken notice and here’s what has happened so far.

 

1. Four types of developments will be frozen starting 1st November

No More Luxury Property Developments Until Malaysia's Property Market Stable - World Of Buzz

Source: edgeprop

According to EdgeProp, the Cabinet has ordered Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to freeze approvals for four types of developments starting from November 1. These are shopping complexes, offices, serviced apartments and luxury condominiums that are priced at over RM1 million.

This includes existing applications – comprising variations made to building plans that have received development orders – that must receive planning permission by January 2018.

 

2. The freeze will last indefinitely until the market has balanced itself

Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor confirmed this and said that the freeze could last for one to three years, depending on market conditions until the glut is cleared and there is an increased demand for these properties.

Malaysiakini reported that Finance Minister II Johari Abdul Ghani said the cabinet made this decision after studying the BNM report. “This will be temporary until we can clear all the excess supply. There is a stark imbalance between supply and demand and we have to review the strategy in real estate development as we do not want such a situation to adversely affect the economy,” he explained.

 

3. Instead, the government plans to focus on developing affordable homes

However, it looks like there may be good news for the rakyat as Johari said that the government will focus more on affordable homes that cost below RM300,000. So, cheaper houses for us? There was reportedly a 48 per cent demand for affordable homes but only a 28 per cent supply in the market.

Under the Budget 2018, Prime Minister Najib Razak has also announced that an allocated RM2.2 billion will be used to build 248,000 more affordable homes.

 

4. This oversupply had the potential to be more severe than the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis

The first quarter of 2017 showed that we had 130,690 unsold units consisting mainly of houses priced above RM250,000, the highest it has been for the decade. In Malaysia, Johor had the highest proportion of unsold units in Malaysia at 27 per cent, followed by Selangor at 21 per cent, Kuala Lumpur at 14 per cent, and Penang at 8 per cent.

In the report, BNM said, “This situation could worsen if the current supply-demand conditions persist. Within the country, Johor is poised to have the largest property market imbalances (highest number of unsold residential properties and potentially the largest excess supply of retail space). As such, it is timely for all parties to act now to mitigate any potential risks to macroeconomic and financial stability.”

That’s not all, BNM predicted that by 2021, one in three offices will be vacant and 140 new malls will enter the market across the Klang Valley, Penang and Johor. That’s way too many malls for us! Hence, BNM governor Muhammad Ibrahim said this oversupply had the potential to be even more severe than the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis.

Maybe we can finally afford to actually buy a house in the future! 

 

Also read: Expert Predicts M’sia Property Market Crash in 2018, House Prices will Drop Drastically

Expert Predicts M'sia's Property Market Crash In 2018, House Prices Will Drop Drastically - World Of Buzz 5

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Dd Ft 6 Dd Ft 6
News19 minutes ago

M’sian Woman in Her 80s Drives Against Traffic on PJ Highway While Trying to Find Exit, Gets Arrested

A video of a vehicle driving against the flow of traffic at KM10.8 of the Damansara-Shah Alam Elevated Expressway (DASH)...

Collage 25 Collage 25
News35 minutes ago

“Unintentional mistake” – Health Dept Apologises & Clarifies Chinese-Language Dengue Card at KL Govt Clinic

The Federal Territories Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya Health Department (JKWPKL&P) has issued an apology following controversy surrounding the use of...

Dd Ft 5 Dd Ft 5
News22 hours ago

Melaka Teens as Young as 14 Assault & Strangle Female E-Hailing Driver After Failing to Pay Ride Fare

A female e-hailing driver went through a terrifying ordeal after being beaten by a group of passengers who were suspected...

Dd Ft 3 Dd Ft 3
News2 days ago

MARA Chairman Slams Netizens for Belittling Cadet Pilot Programme Prioritising Tahfiz Students

Recently, Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) announced its decision to offer Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Tahfiz students the opportunity...

Collage 17 Collage 17
News6 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News6 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News7 days ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Collage 14 Collage 14
News1 week ago

19yo M’sian Student Charged with Murder of Woman Found with 61 Stab Wounds, Faces Death Penalty

A college student has been charged at the Kota Bharu Magistrate’s Court today with the murder of 19-year-old Nurfisya Zulkifly...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY