Connect with us

News

Doctor Pleads Guilty to Raping & Filming Patients, Lawyer Says He Has Worked Hard to Change

Published

Collage 106
Source: World Journal

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

A former doctor based in Queens, New York, recently pleaded guilty to multiple sexual abuse charges involving patients and acquaintances at both his home and workplace.

Zhi Alan Cheng, 35, also admitted to filming the assaults, which involved eight victims.

On August 28, Cheng was sentenced to 24 years in prison by the Queens State Superior Court for sexually assaulting multiple patients and partners while working at NewYork-Presbyterian Queens Hospital. Upon release, he will be subject to 10 years of supervision and must register as a sex offender for life.

Photo

The case began in December 2022, when a female friend reported being sexually assaulted at Cheng’s residence and discovered multiple videos of the assault on his phone. Police later searched his home and recovered numerous recordings showing Cheng sexually assaulting at least eight women over a two-year period, some of whom were anesthetised or unconscious.

On June 30 of this year, Cheng pleaded guilty to four counts of first-degree rape and three counts of first-degree sexual assault.

“The level of violence and perversion displayed by Zhi Alan Cheng in sexually abusing multiple victims is compounded by the fact that he took an oath to do no harm as a medical professional,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz in a statement.

Cheng’s defense attorney, Jeffrey Einhorn, stated that Cheng had initially faced a longer sentence, but the plea deal now allows him to “start moving forward.”

He acknowledged that some victims were disappointed with the outcome but emphasised that Cheng who had struggled with drug addiction and mental health issues, had worked hard to change, according to reports from World Journal and The New York Times.

B818 11B60F98C9D819C86918D2Bfad2A728E

However, outside the courtroom, the attorney representing five of the victims criticised the plea agreement, calling it “a failure to achieve justice.”

He argued that the thousands of hours of footage found on Cheng’s phone suggest there may be more victims, but prosecutors failed to press Cheng for information, leaving many women unaware they had been assaulted. He also condemned the prosecutors for “choosing to deal with a sexual predator despite having irrefutable evidence.”

 

The attorney further questioned NewYork-Presbyterian Queens Hospital’s “unscathed” stance in the case, pointing out that the hospital was aware of complaints but allowed Cheng to continue practicing, even failing to inform patients of potential risks.

 

Also read: Viral M’sian Doctor Who was Caught Cheating Apologises to His Wife, Thanks Her for Accepting Him Back

Collage 97

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Collage 17 Collage 17
News4 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News4 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News5 days ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Collage 14 Collage 14
News6 days ago

19yo M’sian Student Charged with Murder of Woman Found with 61 Stab Wounds, Faces Death Penalty

A college student has been charged at the Kota Bharu Magistrate’s Court today with the murder of 19-year-old Nurfisya Zulkifly...

Collage 13 Collage 13
News6 days ago

PDRM: Several Individuals, Believed to be Drunk, Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery for ‘Glaring’ at Them

A man was assaulted by a group of individuals after reportedly looking in their direction while dining at a restaurant...

Collage 11 Collage 11
News1 week ago

PDRM: 11yo Student Who Fell from Melaka School Was Retrieving Peer’s Shoe He Had Thrown on Awning

Police have confirmed that an incident involving a Standard 5 male student, who was injured after falling from a garage...

Collage 9 Collage 9
News2 weeks ago

11yo Falls From Melaka School Building While Retrieving Shoe Allegedly Thrown Onto Awning by a Peer

A Standard Five male student from a primary school in Batu Berendam, Melaka, was injured after falling from the first-floor...

Dd Ft 17 Dd Ft 17
News2 weeks ago

“I forgive him” – Father of 8yo Girl Fatally Struck Near Johor School Urges Public Not to Blame Van Driver

An 8-year-old student was fatally struck in front of Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Seri Maimon in Parit Sulong, Batu Pahat, Johor,...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY