A 65-year-old woman almost died after a cat scratch wound became severely infected with a deadly-flesh eating bug.
According to Daily Mail, Shirley Hair from England bought a Siamese cat in July 2016 for £400 (RM2149). She said that he was adorable as a kitten but as he got older, he got more aggressive and often left her with bites and scratches.
In April 2018, Shirley said she tried picking the cat up for a cuddle, but he lashed out at her and wounded the back of her hand.
She then started experiencing dizziness, loss of appetite, and muscle aches and thought that she just had the flu. However, her wound suddenly became inflamed and turned bright red and had spread from her hand up her arm.
She rushed to the hospital where she was diagnosed with sepsis, septic shock, organ failure, pneumonia and Necrotising fasciitis (NF) – a flesh-eating disease which results in the death of parts of the body’s soft tissue which can prove fatal.
No, that is NOT halloween makeup.
An emergency surgery was done to remove the infected tissue from her hand before Shirley was placed in a medically-induced coma to allow her body to rest.
Doctors said that Shirley’s illness was caused by the cat scratch which had exposed her body to the flesh-eating bug.
A few days after her initial operation, Shirley’s hand still wasn’t improving. In fact, she suffered two heart attacks after another operation to remove the infection on 18th April.
Doctors were then forced to sedate and ventilate her in order to stabilise her condition and kept her in the ICU for almost a month before she began to show signs of improvement.
Once she was well enough, doctors performed a skin graft from the top of her leg in order to cover the ‘gaping wound’ on her arm, which was so deep that her tendons were exposed.
A vac pump – a machine which decreases air pressure on the wound – was fitted in order to help the skin tissue grow, and she was given multiple physiotherapy sessions to regain movement.
After more than eight operations and two months in hospital Shirley is now home and well with her hand “almost as good as it was”. Meanwhile, her Siamese cat has been re-homed.
OMG, I didn’t know that just a cat scratch could result in a life-threatening disease! Shirley surely was lucky that the disease did not take her life.
“Work From Home ONLY For Public & Industrial Sectors” Defence Minister Clarifies After Much Confusion
Every worker in the CMCO areas was confused after the work from home directive was issued by Defence Minister, Datuk...
“We must help the PN Government” UMNO President, Zahid Hamidi Calls For Political Ceasefire
In a surprising turn of events, UMNO President, Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has called for a political ceasefire to ensure the...
Working From Office? Don’t Forget SOCSO Is Giving Free Covid-19 Tests Starting 22 October
Starting tomorrow (22 October), SOCSO will be offering free Covid-19 tests to registered employers who are obliged to work in...
Petsmore Staff Members From SS2 & One Utama Outlets Test Positive For Covid-19
In a recent announcement on their Facebook page, Petsmore Malaysia confirmed that two of their employees have tested positive for...
Not Sure If You’re Living In A Red Zone Or A Green Zone? Here’s The List Of The Current Red Zones
With the Covid-19 outbreak, our country has been divided into different zones, such as green zones, yellow zones and red...
News12 hours ago
JUST IN: Only 10% Of Employees In Selected Sectors Will Be Allowed To Work In Office
News4 hours ago
News14 hours ago
Dr Noor Hisham: Covid-19 Cluster From 1 Utama Has Reached Six Generations of Infections
People10 hours ago
23yo Student Started A Teh Ais Business During MCO & Makes RM6,000 Monthly!