A 65-year-old woman almost died after a cat scratch wound became severely infected with a deadly-flesh eating bug.
According to Daily Mail, Shirley Hair from England bought a Siamese cat in July 2016 for £400 (RM2149). She said that he was adorable as a kitten but as he got older, he got more aggressive and often left her with bites and scratches.
In April 2018, Shirley said she tried picking the cat up for a cuddle, but he lashed out at her and wounded the back of her hand.
She then started experiencing dizziness, loss of appetite, and muscle aches and thought that she just had the flu. However, her wound suddenly became inflamed and turned bright red and had spread from her hand up her arm.
She rushed to the hospital where she was diagnosed with sepsis, septic shock, organ failure, pneumonia and Necrotising fasciitis (NF) – a flesh-eating disease which results in the death of parts of the body’s soft tissue which can prove fatal.
No, that is NOT halloween makeup.
An emergency surgery was done to remove the infected tissue from her hand before Shirley was placed in a medically-induced coma to allow her body to rest.
Doctors said that Shirley’s illness was caused by the cat scratch which had exposed her body to the flesh-eating bug.
A few days after her initial operation, Shirley’s hand still wasn’t improving. In fact, she suffered two heart attacks after another operation to remove the infection on 18th April.
Doctors were then forced to sedate and ventilate her in order to stabilise her condition and kept her in the ICU for almost a month before she began to show signs of improvement.
Once she was well enough, doctors performed a skin graft from the top of her leg in order to cover the ‘gaping wound’ on her arm, which was so deep that her tendons were exposed.
A vac pump – a machine which decreases air pressure on the wound – was fitted in order to help the skin tissue grow, and she was given multiple physiotherapy sessions to regain movement.
After more than eight operations and two months in hospital Shirley is now home and well with her hand “almost as good as it was”. Meanwhile, her Siamese cat has been re-homed.
OMG, I didn’t know that just a cat scratch could result in a life-threatening disease! Shirley surely was lucky that the disease did not take her life.
JUST IN: Swimming Pools Are Now Allowed To Be Open For Water Sports Training
Minister of Defence, Dato’ Sri Ismail Sabri bin Yaakob has just announced in a live broadcast that swimming pools will...
JUST IN: Resorts World Genting Confirms That They Will Be Reopening Starting 19th June!
Guys, this is not a drill. Genting Highlands will officially be reopening by this weekend to the public after an extended closure due...
JUST IN: Setapak Barber Confirmed Positive For Covid-19, 40 Close Contact Cases Identified
In an update from the case of a barber in Setapak allegedly testing positive for Covid-19, our Health Director-General Dr...
JUST IN: Barber in Setapak Suspected To Be Positive For Covid-19 Only After 2 Days of Opening Barbershop
UPDATE: Health Director-General Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah has come forward to mention that the barber’s diagnosis has not been officially...
BREAKING: SPM & STPM Students Will Return To School By 24th June
In his latest live telecast to the Malaysian public, Education Minister Dr. Mohd Radzi bin Md Jidin has announced that...
Tired Of Comparing Prices On Different Websites? This ONE App Helps You Do That, Gives You Cashback & MORE
Nowadays, more and more Malaysians would prefer to do their shopping online rather than in physical stores. This is because...
Stronger, Faster & Smarter: Here’s Why M’sians Can’t Wait to Get the HUAWEI P40 Pro+ Dropping This Friday!
In case you didn’t know, we’re just a couple of days away from the launch of the HUAWEI P40 Pro+...
The New Normal Reveals 6 Things M’sians Do That Unknowingly Help Spread Germs & Bacteria Faster
Life has been a lot more different since the Movement Control Order (MCO) was implemented on 18 March 2020, almost...
- News24 hours ago
Photo of Human-Sized Bats Go Viral and Yes, They Actually Exist
- News20 hours ago
Beware: Some Sellers Are Pricing Durians Based On the Car You Drive
- News19 hours ago
Watch: Sabah Kids Swimming and Having Fun With A CROCODILE In the River
- Current Affairs23 hours ago
RMCO: 96 Individuals Arrested At Pubs And Nightclubs For Violating SOP