Many of us have frequented escape rooms at some point in recent years, but it seems that some of them may be severe fire hazards. This recent tragedy involving five teenage girls dying in a fire while celebrating a friend’s birthday at an escape room shows just how important it is to prioritise safety standards.
According to The Independent, the deadly fire, which happened last Friday (4th January) in the Polish city of Koszalin, was believed to have been caused by a leaky gas container inside a heater.
Shortly after the blaze was put out by firemen, the five girls (all 15 years old) were found dead in the room next to where the fire happened. It was also discovered that the room the girls were found in had no emergency exit.
Autopsies later revealed that the girls died of carbon monoxide inhalation.
A 28-year-old man who runs the escape room has since been arrested and is currently being accused of “deliberately creating the danger of a fire in the escape room” and “unintentionally causing the death of people in a fire”. His employee, who suffered burns from the fire, will also be questioned by the authorities.
In a report by News.com.au, Polish authorities have now shut down 13 escape room sites due to safety issues. They have also inspected 200 escape rooms across the nation since this tragic incident occurred last week. A number of safety violations were found, prompting immediate attention.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these young girls who were gone way before their time. Let’s hope the authorities also ensure that such a tragedy will never happen again.
KWSP Members Can Choose To Reduce Their Contributions To 9% For 2021
The Employees Provident Fund (KWSP) today announced that the statutory contribution rate of employee shares will be reduced from 11...
Lorry Conductor Dies After His Vehicle Almost Falls From Flyover Following Crash In Nilai
A lorry conductor fell to his death from a height of 5 metres yesterday following an accident in Nilai. As...
Funeral Home Workers Fired After Taking A Selfie With Diego Maradona’s Body
Three funeral home workers were fired after taking pictures next to the body of Argentinian football legend Diego Maradona. Their...
Drunk Driver Kills 37yo Factory Operator On Kajang-Seremban Highway
A factory operator died after the motorcycle he was riding was hit by a car driven by a man believed...
Scientists Discover That Marsupials, Wombats & Platypuses Can Actually Glow In The Dark!
This just goes to show how little we actually know about the wonders of the animal kingdom! Australia has got...
Opinion19 hours ago
M’sian Girl Follows Man She Called “Bangla” Around To See His Reaction, Gets Called Out For Harassment
News24 hours ago
‘Datuk’ & 19 Others Arrested After Bar Fight Breaks Out In Jalan Puchong
Social Stories23 hours ago
25-Year-Old Terrace House in Ampang Is Transformed Into A Modern Home
Social Stories23 hours ago
M’sian Man Exposes iShareFans App For Allegedly Scamming Users & Not Allowing Withdrawals