Connect with us

Social Stories

Young M’sians Beat 160 Hopefuls in 2017 World Master Chef Competition

Published

Young Chefs from Penang Win 2017 World Master Chef Competition - WORLD OF BUZZ 2
Source: FMT

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

Cooking a simple meal as a means of survival may be easy enough but these two Malaysian chefs have taken things up a notch by winning an international cooking competition.

Young M'sian Chefs Win 2017 World Master Chef Competition - WORLD OF BUZZ

Source: FMT

According to FMT, the two young chefs from Penang beat 160 teams from 44 countries to nab the Cantonese Cuisine Master Chef title and the Gold Medal award. The competition is known as 2017 World Master Chef Competition for Cantonese Cuisine and was held in Hong Kong in early September.

Gary Lim Lee Sheng, 27, and Jason Lim Soon Ming, 25, were elated over their win and said that the win was for the country as well. Congrats, guys! In the competition, each team had to come up with one spectacular Cantonese dish in 60 minutes using designated ingredients.

Young Chefs from Penang Win 2017 World Master Chef Competition - WORLD OF BUZZ

Source: FMT

Their winning recipe was “garoupa fish with fish bone gravy”, which won the hearts and marks from the judges. Describing the dish, they said, “70g of garoupa fish is cut into a square and placed in a wok with ‘cold oil’, which is oil that has not yet been heated up. We then ignited the burner, raising the temperature carefully from 60 to 80 degrees Celsius. This way, we’re able to maintain the juices of the fish.” Sounds really yummy!

For Soon Ming, who is a banquet chef at G Hotel on Gurney Drive, said that he had previously participated in 10 other competitions but had never won such a prestigious award before. Ritz Carlton Hotel in Singapore has offered him a job and the young chef is planning to move there next month. 

Young Chefs from Penang Win 2017 World Master Chef Competition - WORLD OF BUZZ 1

Source: Facebook

Meanwhile, Lee Sheng expressed his surprise at winning the competition as he had no formal training in culinary arts. However, with hard work and determination, he had been working as a chef since he was 18 years old and is currently in Tong Hai Restaurant in Paya Terubong. 

Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng praised the duo for making the country proud and gave them RM800 cash reward as well as a certificate of recognition. He added, “It is amazing that a Hokkien and a Teochew chef won a Cantonese food award. We are very proud of them.”
Great job guys! Congratulations on your win once again and thanks for making us proud!

Also read: 29-Year-Old Accountant from Johor Wins MasterChef Australia 2017

29-Year Old Accountant from Johor Crowned MasterChef Australia 2017! - World Of Buzz

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

feat image tariff feat image tariff
News1 hour ago

Donald Trump Announces That The US Will Impose a 24% Reciprocal Tariff on Malaysia

US President Donald Trump made a bombshell announcement on Wednesday (2 April) that could have a massive impact on the...

collage 3 collage 3
News15 hours ago

Did You Know: M’sia’s Deadliest Explosion Happened in 1991 & Was Dubbed the ‘Hiroshima of Sungai Buloh’

The gas pipeline fire in Putra Heights on April 1, 2025 marked a tragedy that destroyed many houses and vehicles,...

My Post 1 2025 04 02T165611.518 1 My Post 1 2025 04 02T165611.518 1
News15 hours ago

Latest Updates & Everything You Need to Know About the Putra Heights Gas Pipeline Explosion

Yesterday (Tuesday – April 1, 2025) at around 8:20am, a huge gas pipeline explosion broke out in Putra Heights, Selangor,...

feat image skem feat image skem
News16 hours ago

Company Auditor in Pahang Joins ‘Investment Scheme’ on WhatsApp, Gets Scammed Out of RM1.29 Million

The Commercial Crimes Investigation Department (JSJK) of the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) recently revealed that a 43-year-old woman in Pekan,...

collage 2 collage 2
News18 hours ago

DBKL Raids Multiple Stalls Run by Unlicensed Foreigners Around KLCC, Pavilion & More During Raya

It’s the Raya season, but not everyone is away from work. DBKL recently raided and cracked down on multiple unlicensed...

collage collage
News21 hours ago

Landslide Reported in Seri Kembangan on Same Day as Putra Heights Gas Pipeline Fire

While the victims of the pipeline blaze in Putra Heights, Selangor are still traumatised by the incident, another disaster took...

My Post 1 2025 04 02T101911.977 My Post 1 2025 04 02T101911.977
News22 hours ago

Tourist Speedboat Completely Destroyed After Exploding Near Phuket Island, Several Rushed to Hospital

A speedboat burst into flames near Phuket yesterday (April 1) morning, leading 6 people to sustain injuries and be taken...

My Post 1 2025 04 01T155730.022 My Post 1 2025 04 01T155730.022
News2 days ago

2 Rottweilers Escape From Kedah Home & Attack People for the 2nd Time, Owner Under Investigation

About 4 people were left injured after being attacked by 2 dogs that had escaped from their owner’s house in...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY