Connect with us

News

Sarawak Govt To Host New Year’s Eve Party With 1,000 Guests To Usher In A “Happy” 2021

Published

Pjimage 2020 12 30T141025.161
Source: YB Karim Hamzah & Gaia Discovery

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

While we all definitely need a pick-me-up after the year we’ve had, but is a massive crowd event really what the people need right now?

Despite relaxed SOPs, we need to remember that Covid-19 still hasn’t left us especially with fluctuating cases being reported daily. After the fiasco that happened during the Sabah elections which is said to be the main cause of the third wave of infections, you’d think things would change this time around.

However, it seems like the Sarawak government will be hosting a New Year Countdown 2021 event on Thursday (31 December). The event is set to happen in Stadium Perpaduan, Petra Jaya with total guests of 1,000 people including Sarawak Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg, reported Berita Harian.

134436464 2285969481534381 8218331091975005955 N

Minister of tourism, arts and culture, datuk abdul karim rahman hamzah (middle) during a press conference regarding the countdown 2021 sarawak event.

While Defence Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that huge gatherings during New Year’s Eve are not allowed, Datuk Abdul Karim reassured that the event won’t be like previous years which was held at the Waterfront Centre when crowd control was difficult.

The stadium is a suitable venue because we can control the capacity. We are limiting it to 1,000 invited guests as we comply strictly to the standard operating procedures (SOP). We are inviting those who have been looking after us, the frontliners.”

The minister added that they want to usher in 2021 with hopes that the year ahead will be a happy year. During his press conference yesterday (29 December), the minister made a public apology towards Malaysian artiste, Dayang Nurfaizah, who’s set to be the lead singer at the concert.

 

To quarantine or not to quarantine?

For any Malaysian travelling to Sarawak, they will be required to quarantine for ten days and swab tested in Peninsular Malaysia first. According to Karim, if people enter Sarawak for special cases, they can be here for 72 hours without being quarantined granted they have their swab test done.

Dayang

Dayang nurfaizah

Dayang Nurfaizah had another swab test and was asked to quarantine upon arriving in Sarawak despite having special permission. The minister explained that he had managed to get the clearance to enter the state from State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas for her.

“How can you get swabbed two times in three days? Despite having clearance, I know some ‘smartass’ in SDMC must have overdone their duty and tried to be better than the minister!”

Sarawak Deputy Chief Minister, Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas, gave permission so that Dayang is given flexibility from standard operating procedures (SOP) to enter Sarawak without having to take a swab test and quarantine.

The 2021 Countdown is said to be filled with performances from local artists and musicians and even a fireworks display outside the stadium at midnight. The event will be broadcasted live on TV Sarawak and UKAS Facebook pages starting 8pm so that all Sarawakians will be able to watch the show.

What do you guys think about this event? Let us know what you think!

 

Also read: Defence Minister: Weddings, Social Events & Banquets Still Not Allowed Under CMCO

Page 31

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Dd Ft 14 Dd Ft 14
News4 hours ago

PMX Personally Delivers Aid to Banting Fire Victims, Including Family of 3yo Who Perished

A massive fire that broke out on 6 February destroyed about 90% of three houses in Banting, Selangor. As previously...

Collage 57 Collage 57
News1 day ago

“No-trading zone” – DBKL Seizes Goods from Illegal Vendors ‘Tainting’ Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad View

It did not take long for Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to take action against the illegal vendors dominating Dataran...

My Post 1 2026 02 18T123135.779 My Post 1 2026 02 18T123135.779
News2 days ago

“Ensuring public safety” – DBKL Clarifies ‘Dakwah’ Stall Closure, Claims NGO Official Never Appeared

Earlier today, we reported that popular Malaysian preacher Firdaus Wong called out Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) for allegedly closing...

Collage 50 Collage 50
News3 days ago

28yo Drunk Porsche Driver Pleads Not Guilty to Causing Couple’s Death in Pahang, Released on RM10k Bail

A 28-year-old Porsche Cayenne driver pleaded not guilty in court yesterday (16 February) to a charge of driving under the...

Dd Ft 5 Dd Ft 5
News4 days ago

“You are on my radar” – Yang di-Pertuan Agong Warns Corrupt Officers in MACC & Other Govt Agencies

His Majesty the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Ibrahim has warned that more individuals are now on His Majesty’s “radar” in...

Dd Ft Dd Ft
News4 days ago

PDRM: Up to 7 Years’ Jail, RM10k Fine for Fireworks Other Than ‘Happy Boom’ & ‘Pop-Pop’ This CNY

The Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) has reminded the public that possessing, selling, buying or setting off firecrackers and fireworks for...

Anwarft 1 Anwarft 1
News5 days ago

“We can go even further!” – PMX Claims Malaysia Has ‘Extraordinary Potential’ if Governance Stays Clean

Malaysia has extraordinary potential to achieve even faster progress if it continues to be governed effectively and with integrity, said...

Feat Image Ringgit Feat Image Ringgit
News5 days ago

Ringgit Has Gained 14% Against USD, So Why Haven’t Prices Gone Down? Finance Minister II Explains

Finance Minister II Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan has addressed concerns regarding why the prices of goods in Malaysia remain...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY