We often think that vaping as a safer alternative to cigarettes. But an incident where a baby in Victoria, Australia was killed due to exposure to vaping liquid might make you think otherwise.
The Herald Sun reports that while the coroner has yet to release details surrounding the infant’s death, it was confirmed that the cause of death is due to poisoning from vaping liquid.
This is sadly not the first incident where a child lost it’s life this way.
In 2013, a 2-year-old Israeli girl died after coming into contact with a small amount of nicotine from her grandfather’s e-cig vial. Similarly, in 2014, a 1-year-old American child was killed after exposure to liquid nicotine.
As vape pens and e-cigs become increasingly popular, the number of incidents involving children is expected to grow. Worryingly, statistics in the US and Australia show that numbers are doubling over some years.
According to the American Association of Poison Control,
“One teaspoon of liquid nicotine could be lethal to a child, and smaller amounts can cause severe illness, often requiring trips to the emergency department.”
There are 3 ways that children can be exposed to the toxic liquid:
- Mouth: A child doesn’t have to swallow the vaping liquid to be poisoned. Even if they place it in their mouths, deadly amounts can be absorbed through the mucous membrane.
- Swallowing: If a child swallows it, they’ll absorb it through their digestive tracks.
- Skin contact: Nicotine can be absorbed through the skin, that’s how nicotine patches work. Even a few minutes of exposure can be deadly.
Parents and caretakers should keep an eye out for children below 5-years-old and make sure they don’t have easy access to their cartridges, refills or vials.
It should be noted that brands that claim to be nicotine-free sometimes contain more nicotine than regular brands.
Seek medical attention immediately if you notice any symptoms of nicotine overdose including:
- A fast heartbeat
- Jittery and unsteady appearance
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased saliva
Recipe For Disaster: Annual Haze Could Cause More Problems As Covid-19 Still Looms
Keep your masks on as the annual haze may make a comeback in Malaysia in the months to come, only...
Al Jazeera Strongly Denies Documentary As “Inaccurate & Misleading” In Press Release
Over the last weekend, Al Jazeera has received a lot of flak and criticism over a documentary on Malaysia’s management...
San Francisco Introduces An Act To Stop “Karens” From Being Racists
A little vocabulary lesson, a “Karen” is the stereotypical name associated with rude, obnoxious and insufferable middle-aged white women. Karens...
Fret Not Malaysians, For The Salmon & Coffee Pairing Is Just A Joke
Malaysians are generally quite particular with our food, which is why when we make certain unconventional food pairings, it’s only...
‘Strong Evidence’ Suggests Mothers Can Transmit Virus To Newborns
There is “strong evidence” that COVID-19- positive mothers can pass the virus on to their unborn infants, scientists said Thursday,...
- GE144 hours ago
13 Things You Should Know About Dr Mahathir Who Just Turned 95 Today!
- Features20 hours ago
Meet The Woman Who Quit Her Corporate Job Before MCO To Start An Online Jewellery Shop
- News21 hours ago
Adorable Thai Grandpa Uses Signboard To Find His Grandchild Among Masked Students
- News22 hours ago
OKU Grab Rider’s Motor Gets Stolen, Netizens Raise Funds & Find His Bike For Him