Connect with us

Sports

Assaults on Footballers: Selangor FC Withdraws from Match, Sultan Selangor Agrees but Not JDT’s CEO

Published

Collage 22 1
Source: Facebook | Royal Selangor Office & Stadium Astro

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

With the hunt for the perpetrators who assaulted Malaysian footballers recently, Selangor Football Club has made a gutsy decision. They’re withdrawing from the 2024 Charity Shield match following the rampant attacks on footballers from different FCs.

Akhyar

Screenshot 2024 05 08 101828

Screenshot 2024 05 08 102255

The match is scheduled for tomorrow (May 10) but due to the threats and attacks posed toward several footballers in just 72 hours, the football club called it quits.

“The club reluctantly decided NOT TO PARTICIPATE in the 2024 Charity Cup match.”

With the criminals still running freely, the FC has only 1 priority at the time being – ensuring the safety of the team members.

“We take all forms of threats and violence seriously. We will not compromise on matters related to the safety of the team.”

Sultan Selangor AGREES, but not JDT

In an official statement by Sultan Selangor this morning (May 9), Sultan Selangor said he agreed with Selangor FC’s decision to withdraw from the match.

“The priority at this time is the life and safety of the players, not to win the match,” Sultan Selangor said in the statement that was shared on Royal Selangor Office’s FB page.

441260760 18334823191136613 7466649998379442065 N

Sultan Selangor also highlighted the moral condition of the team which is still affected after the recent assaults on the footballers.

Johor Southern Tigers (JDT), on the other hand, is NOT ON BOARD with Selangor FC’s withdrawal from the match. In a statement posted on X @OfficialJohor last night (April 8), JDT’s FC CEO, Alistair Edwards said Johor FC had been attacked in hostile environments in different Malaysian states, but that did not deter their will.

“We still travelled and played those matches under increased police presence. Selangor have never been attacked at the Sultan Ibrahim Stadium. Team & fans had police escorts most of the time.”

Alistair Edwards 2

Alistair also assured the public that security for the match has been doubled for the safety of the team, players, and fans. He also hopes that Selangor FC will reconsider their decision.

The manpower of police presence has been increased to 1,500 personnel.

Additionally, PDRM is currently investigating if the recent assaults are linked to the poison pen letter that was sent to the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) last month.

The letter accused FAM of fraud, abuse of power, discrepancies in salaries, and issues with Harimau Malaya.

“We have identified the modus operandi but not the motive yet,” PDRM said in a statement.

440479764 842419244584964 1996307405283019264 N

We hope the perpetrators and the mastermind behind these attacks will be brought to the face of justice sooner rather than later.

 

Also read: “Robbed, acid-splashed, hammered” – 3 M’sian Footballers from Different FCs Assaulted on Different Nights

Collage 20

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Ktmft Ktmft
News2 hours ago

KTMB Stops Man Attempting to Steal 250m of Cable Tracks in Johor, Bags of Cable Cutting Tools Seized

Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) successfully foiled an attempt to steal approximately 250 metres of cable along the Kempas Baru–Kulai...

Motorft Motorft
News6 hours ago

3 Malaysian Motorcyclists Arrested for Performing Dangerous Stunts on KL–Seremban Highway

Lying face‑down on a motorcycle in a “Superman” pose and weaving zig‑zag between vehicles were among the dangerous stunts performed...

Arrestft Arrestft
News9 hours ago

Thai Police Go Undercover in Lion Dance Costume to Arrest Thief Who Stole ~RM249k in Artefacts

Thai police pulled off an unconventional arrest during Chinese New Year celebrations this week, after slipping into a lion dance...

Stabft1 Stabft1
News9 hours ago

Woman in Her 50s Arrested for Allegedly Stabbing Mother with Can Opener in Kuala Pilah

An elderly woman was injured in the neck after being stabbed by her own daughter in an incident at Kampung...

Dd Ft 14 Dd Ft 14
News1 day ago

PMX Personally Delivers Aid to Banting Fire Victims, Including Family of 3yo Who Perished

A massive fire that broke out on 6 February destroyed about 90% of three houses in Banting, Selangor. As previously...

Collage 57 Collage 57
News2 days ago

“No-trading zone” – DBKL Seizes Goods from Illegal Vendors ‘Tainting’ Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad View

It did not take long for Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) to take action against the illegal vendors dominating Dataran...

My Post 1 2026 02 18T123135.779 My Post 1 2026 02 18T123135.779
News3 days ago

“Ensuring public safety” – DBKL Clarifies ‘Dakwah’ Stall Closure, Claims NGO Official Never Appeared

Earlier today, we reported that popular Malaysian preacher Firdaus Wong called out Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) for allegedly closing...

Collage 50 Collage 50
News4 days ago

28yo Drunk Porsche Driver Pleads Not Guilty to Causing Couple’s Death in Pahang, Released on RM10k Bail

A 28-year-old Porsche Cayenne driver pleaded not guilty in court yesterday (16 February) to a charge of driving under the...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY