Now that the state of emergency has been implemented under the declaration of Yang Di-Pertuan Agong, many are worried about what that means.
Thankfully, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin shared the terms of the state of emergency, to help put things into perspective for Malaysians.
Here’s everything you need to know:
[TERKINI] Pengumuman #Darurat oleh YAB Perdana Menteri
Ikuti sekarang Pengumuman Darurat oleh Perdana Menteri, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin selepas Yang di-Pertuan Agong perkenan untuk mengisytiharkan #Darurat pada Selasa.#Darurat #HapusCOVID19
Posted by Astro AWANI on Monday, January 11, 2021
1. This state of emergency is not a military coup.
2. There is no curfew order.
3. The civilian government will continue to function.
4. There will be no parliamentary and DUN meetings throughout the state of emergency.
5. There will be no General Elections, State Elections and By-Elections throughout the state of emergency.
“The general elections will take place as soon as the Independent Committee certifies that the Covid-19 virus has subsided,” he said.
6. The administrative machinery of the Federal and state governments will not be disturbed by the declaration of emergency proclamation.
But, most importantly, he clarified that the emergency ordinance is a necessary step in the effort to curb the spread of Covid-19 and enhance the enforcement of security and public order.
Stay tuned for more updates.
Also read: BREAKING: Yang Di-Pertuan Agong Declares State Of Emergency Until 1 August 2021