fbpx
Connect with us
TOPICS

Beauty & Fashion

These Levi’s Jeans From The 1880s Were Auctioned For More Than RM400k!

Published

Collage Jeans
Source: Instagram

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

If you have shopped “curated” thrift or vintage fashion items before, you might have an idea of how highly priced they are. If you have not, here is an example.

Recently, a pair of Levi’s jeans from the 1880s were auctioned for slightly over RM400,000!

According to Denim Doctors, a curated vintage showroom and repair shop in Los Angeles, California, the pants were found in an abandoned mine in the American West by self-described “denim archaeologist” Michael Harris.

Screenshot 2022 10 18 161848

 

They were sold at Durango Vintage Festivus, a four-day celebration of denim on the outskirts of Aztec, New Mexico.

Kyle Hautner and Zip Stevenson were the lucky purchasers of the jeans, which feature a buckleback adjuster along the waist. Hautner paid 90% of the price, while Stevenson contributed the remaining 10%.

“The pants were a rare discovery,” said Stevenson who owns and operates Denim Doctors.

Screenshot 2022 10 18 163746

 

“These jeans are extremely rare – especially in this fantastic worn condition and size,” he told CNN.

Stevenson said Harris “has looked in at least 50 abandoned mines for five years and has not found a pair of equal quality.”

He said there are a couple other pairs of Levi’s from the same time period that are known to still exist, but they are not wearable and are on display in museums.

Screenshot 2022 10 18 164557

 

This auctioned pair however, could be worn with just a few minor repairs. Imagine wearing a 140-year-old pair of jeans!

A dark episode in American history

A label printed on the inside of a pocket reads: “The only kind made by white labor”, a slogan adopted by the denim company after the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, which barred Chinese workers from entering the United States.

Slogan

 

“It’s wild to see that,” Hautner told the Wall Street Journal. “That’s how old these jeans are.”

Eager enthusiasts

In the comments section, vintage denim enthusiasts share in Stevenson’s and Hautner’s excitement of the jeans.

1 8

 

“And I am kinda digging the cinch thing (a buckleback adjuster) in the back. Built-in belt.”

Beelt

 

“Love the Y2K dirty look tint!”

2 8

 

Would you wear this pair of Levi’s jeans?

 

Also read: This Crop Top At A Curated Thrift Store In Taman Paramount Costs 4 Times More Than Its Price On Shopee

Also Read 36

Source: Instagram
Source: Instagram
Source: Instagram
Source: CNN
Source: Instagram
Source: Instagram
Source: Instagram


Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Ft Motac Ft Motac
News12 hours ago

Tourism Minister Tiong King Sing Confirms That Arts & Culture Will Remain Under His Ministry

The Cabinet announcement by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim was met with shock by some of the appointments that were...

Ft Loke 1 Ft Loke 1
News14 hours ago

Transport Minister Reveals That Kelana Jaya LRT Line Disruptions Can be Expected Until Q3 of 2023

Just a few days into his job, transport Minister Anthony Loke had gone to take the LRT during rush hour...

Collage 4 1 Collage 4 1
News15 hours ago

“Biggest electoral fraud” – Muhyiddin Says PH, BN Lied in GE15 & Rakyat is Not Amused With Them

Nearly 3 weeks after GE15, the opposition – Perikatan Nasional (PN) has pointed out what they don’t like about the...

Collage 2 1 Collage 2 1
News1 day ago

“We’ll help” – PAS Challenges Gov’t to BAN Gambling Centers in States Controlled by BN & PH

Just recently, Prime Minister Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim, who is also the Minister of Finance reduced the 4D Special Draw...

My Post 1 2022 12 07T165034.887 My Post 1 2022 12 07T165034.887
News1 day ago

Johor Police Busts World Cup 2022 Gambling Syndicate With Bets Of Up To RM6.3 Million

The Johor police successfully busted an online gambling syndicate surrounding the Qatar 2022 World Cup, involving bets of up to...

Ft Hiv Ft Hiv
News1 day ago

M’sian AIDS Orgs Slam Doctors For Urging Govt to Ban HIV Prevention Medicine From Gay Couples

Whatever your view is on the LGBTQ community, a group shouldn’t ever be banned from accessing certain medication just because...

Pdrm Ft Pdrm Ft
News2 days ago

PDRM Introduces E-Reporting System That Allows M’sians To Make Police Reports Online

One of the most troublesome things that one can encounter is to lose personal documentations or personal belongings. The common...

Collage 3 Collage 3
News2 days ago

Fire Breaks Out at the HQ of Ministry of Finance, No Injuries or Losses Reported

A fire broke out yesterday (December 6) at the HQ of the Ministry of Finance but fortunately, no injuries or...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY