Connect with us

Social Stories

Penang CM Apologises For Mercedes Upgrade During Covid-19 Pandemic

Published

089C020F A151 4686 89Fa 8E1C146B3F41
Source: Chow Kon Yeow/Facebook

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

The Penang Chief Minister said that he bear the ultimate responsibility on the issue and will make sure that it won’t effect the welfare of Penang-ites.

Penang Chief Minister, Chow Kon Yeow today issued an apology to all Malaysians and specifically to the people of Penang for the purchase of the state’s new official Mercedes S560e. In a statement issued to Bernama as well as in a Facebook post, Kon Yeow said that the purchase was inappropriate at a time when the country is in the midst of a pandemic.

Ketua Menteri sedia menerima semua pandangan dan kritikan daripada pelbagai pihak berhubung isu pembelian kereta rasmi…

Posted by Chow Kon Yeow 曹觀友 on Saturday, 9 January 2021

Kon Yeow, who is also the ADUN for Padang Kota takes full responsibility for the purchase and said he will be more careful in making decisions involving purchases in the future.

“The car for the Chief Minister was bought according to the proper administrative process and I take note of the views of all parties on the issue, I also admit it is a lesson to me and the state government as the purchase has offended the people and caused them to worry.”

Last Thursday (7 January 2021), the Penang State Secretary’s Office released a press statement to the public regarding the purchase of the new car here:

Bda08413 778A 42B6 B603 Deedfbe0Fe64

According to the press statement, the purchase of the new Mercedes S560e was approved by the State Executive Committee meeting on 29 November 2019 at the cost of RM458,122.78 after a RM127,765.22 discount.

The purchase was to replace the previous Mercedes S300L allocated for the official use of the Penang Chief Minister that was utilised since 2013. The previous Mercedes was in use when former Finance Minister, Lim Guan Eng was Penang CM and famously broke down by the roadside in 2018. The then Penang CM had to hitch a ride to get to his destination due to the automotive failure.

A1D3Cb08 D85C 4C45 A554 C57F621255D7

Lim guan eng in 28 february 2018 when the penang official car broke down.

The purchase of the new Mercedes drew widespread criticism with many questioning whether it is necessary right now. Previously, Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia spoke out against the purchase and questioned how the Penang government could spend extravagantly during a pandemic.

Meanwhile, PAS said that the purchase signalled how the Penang government is oblivious to the problems faced by the rakyat via their mouthpice, Harakah Daily.

Ea151E1B Ac59 4F2E 9E9E E9E81D48Bc30

Responding to criticisms, Chow Kon Yeow clarified that the purchase was made through proper administrative process and have been approved since 2019, before the pandemic. He also stressed that he takes note of the views of all parties on the issue and admitted that it is a lesson for him and the state government as the purchase has offended the people and caused them to worry.

“As the Chief Minister, if anyone is offended and feels it is not timely, even if there is a need, it can be postponed due to the pandemic, I bear the ultimate responsibility on this issue,”

What do you guys think of the whole issue? Share your thoughts with us in the comments.

 

Also read: “Is this necessary now?” M’sians Question Penang Chief Minister’s New Mercedes

Pjimage 2021 01 07T185332.933

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Collage 29 Collage 29
News18 hours ago

All 29 Malaysian Gaza Flotilla 2.0 Delegates Released by Israel, One Activist Receives Threats Online

A wave of relief and emotion swept through supporters and family members after all 29 Malaysian delegates involved in the...

Collage 27 Collage 27
News2 days ago

75yo Man Charged Over Klang Hit-and-Run That Killed 2 Sisters, Seeks Lower Bail as He Suffers from Diabetes

A 75-year-old driver accused of a fatal hit-and-run in Bandar Baru Klang, Selangor, which claimed the lives of two sisters,...

Collage 3 2 Collage 3 2
News2 days ago

“We’re not protecting him” – PDRM Reveals Why Cop Who Allegedly Ran Langkawi Drug Syndicate Was ‘Only’ Transferred

Recently, the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) revealed that “Mr A”, a police officer allegedly linked to running a drug syndicate...

Collage 24 Collage 24
News3 days ago

Plot Twist: ASEAN Records Exposes Fake Letter & Unregistered NGO After Allegations Go Viral

The Malaysia-based private record recognition platform found itself at the centre of controversy after a letter allegedly from the ASEAN...

Dd Ft 7 Dd Ft 7
News3 days ago

Married 42yo Seremban Teacher Charged with Grooming & Sexually Abusing Her 14yo Student Under Tree, In House

A 42-year-old Malaysian teacher has pleaded not guilty to five counts of sexual offences against her 14-year-old male student. Nurul...

Collage 26 Collage 26
News3 days ago

“They are brave individuals” – All 29 Malaysian Global Sumud Flotilla Activists Have Been Kidnapped by Israel

Hope that humanitarian aid would finally reach the people of Gaza appeared to collapse on Tuesday night (19 May) after...

Dd Ft 6 Dd Ft 6
News3 days ago

M’sian Woman in Her 80s Drives Against Traffic on PJ Highway While Trying to Find Exit, Gets Arrested

A video of a vehicle driving against the flow of traffic at KM10.8 of the Damansara-Shah Alam Elevated Expressway (DASH)...

Collage 25 Collage 25
News3 days ago

“Unintentional mistake” – Health Dept Apologises & Clarifies Chinese-Language Dengue Card at KL Govt Clinic

The Federal Territories Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya Health Department (JKWPKL&P) has issued an apology following controversy surrounding the use of...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY