Connect with us

News

Miss Universe Malaysia 2023 Cancelled in Light of Indonesia’s Sexual Harassment Accusations

Published

My Post 1 2023 08 10T120848.512
Source: BBC & Bicara Indonesia

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

The Miss Universe organisation has officially cancelled Miss Universe Malaysia 2023 in light of the sexual harassment accusations made by Miss Universe Indonesia contestants.

This is due to the fact that the Indonesia-based company, PT Capella Swastika Karya, is the licensee for both Miss Universe Indonesia and Miss Universe Malaysia.

Taking to their Twitter page, they shared a statement in regards to this matter.

“PT Capella Swastika Karya and its principals will not be moving forward with Miss Universe Malaysia 2023 and will not be given any additional contracts within our organization.”

“We will be cancelling Miss Universe Malaysia 2023, and will make arrangements for the Indonesia 2023 titleholder to compete in this year’s Miss Universe pageant,” they wrote.

 

More than half a dozen women competing in the Miss Universe Indonesia beauty pageant have reported organisers to police over allegations of sexual harassment, their lawyer said Tuesday.

The complaint came after the seven finalists in the contest, held in the capital Jakarta from July 29 to August 3, were unexpectedly asked to strip for a supposed body check two days before the pageant’s crowning ceremony.

Officials from the license holder of Miss Universe in Indonesia, PT Capella Swastika Karya, insisted they had “to examine any scars, cellulite or tattoos on their bodies”, the contestants’ lawyer Mellisa Anggraini told AFP.

Miss Uni 1

“The finalists were not aware that they would be subjected to such a procedure, as it was originally planned to be a fitting,” Anggraini told AFP.

She said all 30 finalists in the pageant were subjected to the unexpected body check, and five of them had their pictures taken. The number of contestants coming forward with complaints could rise, she said, as more finalists have given her the authority to report the incidents.

 

Jakarta police spokesman Trunoyudo Wisnu Andiko told reporters on Tuesday that a police report had been filed by the contestants.

Police launched a probe into the complaint using the report as “the basis for our further investigation”, he said.

Miss Uni 2

Poppy Capella, national director of Miss Universe Indonesia, did not confirm or deny the allegations in an Instagram post, but expressed gratitude to those who had shared “their views, feelings and perspectives with us” over the incident.

“Your comments are not mere words: they are a potent force,” she wrote.

Miss Universe’s global organisation did not respond to an emailed request for comment.

Broadcaster Kompas TV showed the women holding a press conference about the allegations, hiding their identities as they spoke.

The competition was held to choose Indonesia’s representative at this year’s Miss Universe contest, which was founded in the 1950s.

© AFP

 

Also read: WATCH: M’sian Singer Vanessa Reynauld Absolutely SLAYS on Sing! China 2023

My Post 1 2023 08 08T165633.367

Source: BBC

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Collage 26 Collage 26
News10 minutes ago

“They are brave individuals” – All 29 Malaysian Global Sumud Flotilla Activists Have Been Kidnapped by Israel

Hope that humanitarian aid would finally reach the people of Gaza appeared to collapse on Tuesday night (19 May) after...

Dd Ft 6 Dd Ft 6
News2 hours ago

M’sian Woman in Her 80s Drives Against Traffic on PJ Highway While Trying to Find Exit, Gets Arrested

A video of a vehicle driving against the flow of traffic at KM10.8 of the Damansara-Shah Alam Elevated Expressway (DASH)...

Collage 25 Collage 25
News2 hours ago

“Unintentional mistake” – Health Dept Apologises & Clarifies Chinese-Language Dengue Card at KL Govt Clinic

The Federal Territories Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya Health Department (JKWPKL&P) has issued an apology following controversy surrounding the use of...

Dd Ft 5 Dd Ft 5
News1 day ago

Melaka Teens as Young as 14 Assault & Strangle Female E-Hailing Driver After Failing to Pay Ride Fare

A female e-hailing driver went through a terrifying ordeal after being beaten by a group of passengers who were suspected...

Dd Ft 3 Dd Ft 3
News2 days ago

MARA Chairman Slams Netizens for Belittling Cadet Pilot Programme Prioritising Tahfiz Students

Recently, Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) announced its decision to offer Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Tahfiz students the opportunity...

Collage 17 Collage 17
News6 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News6 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News1 week ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY