Many of us have the habit of keeping leftovers after a meal and this is fine, especially if you store them properly. However, if it isn’t stored properly, then you run the risk of getting food poisoning, gastroenteritis or even worse. A 72-year-old man in Shanghai learnt this the hard way after he ate seafood that was no longer fresh and almost died from it.
According to HK On CC, the man had suddenly experienced diarrhoea, fever, dizziness and confusion, so he was rushed to the hospital. Doctors say that he was suffering from sepsis, also known as blood infection, as they discovered that his blood was infected with gram-negative bacteria.
This situation was very dangerous, as sepsis can lead to organ failure or even death. It was revealed that the old man had eaten cooked seafood that was stored overnight on Thursday (November 21st) as he did not want to waste food. The seafood must have been stored inappropriately as it was not fresh any more.
At first, he suffered from abdominal pain and diarrhoea before getting a fever of 38.6°C. He went to the doctor and took some fever medicine, which helped to drop his temperature temporarily. He was diagnosed with acute gastroenteritis but the symptoms were not alleviated, and the old man was sent to the hospital on Saturday (November 23rd).
He was sent to the Xinhua Hospital in Shanghai and when he arrived, the doctor said he was in a critical condition. At that time, the doctor said that the old man’s condition was critical as he was in a dazed and confused state. Currently, they are treating the old man, whose temperature had dropped to normal levels, but they are still monitoring his sepsis.
The doctor said that the sepsis was likely due to him eating the spoiled seafood as there might have been bacteria on the food that entered the man’s system through wounds in his mouth when he ate them.
Not wanting to waste food is good but do make sure that your food is stored properly!
Vitamin C: 5 Fascinating Facts M’sians Need To Know About The Most Popular Vitamin In The World
Ever since we were kids, our moms would tell us to take vitamin C so we don’t get sick. Most...
OMG! This e-Wallet Lets M’sians Pick & Win ANY Gift They Want, Including a Samsung S20 Ultra!
As of today, e-wallets are widely used all over the country. It’s safer, more convenient, and with the multitude of...
Watch: Malaysian Men Completely Transformed After Doing The Viral ‘HairSome’ Challenge
With the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) still in place, one of the many businesses still not allowed to operate...
- Malaysia24 hours ago
More Sectors & Schools Might Open Up On First Week Of June If Covid-19 Cases Are Low
- Viral18 hours ago
City Up In Flames: Protesters Set Police Building On Fire To Seek Justice For George Floyd
- News22 hours ago
UPDATE: Thailand Welcomes Tourists Back By July 1st As Lockdown Will Be Lifted Completely!
- Malaysia18 hours ago
Video: “Fire me, I’m waiting…” Says Tun M As He Calmly Waits In Bersatu Office HQ