It’s without a doubt that our love for Malaysian street food in hawker stalls and warungs will never ever falter. But, sometimes it’s also worth taking our taste buds on a little adventure and taking a detour from our comfort zones; to maximise our life experiences with something as simple yet life-affirming as eating good food in a fantastic place.
Sounds delicious? Then you should check out these restaurants and take your dining experience to a whole other level, to boldly go where your taste buds and sights have never been to.
1. GUĀNG Restaurant & Bar: Perfect for every occasion, coupled with great grub & refreshments
Wonder why this Japanese-fusion restaurant-cum-bar has an impressive chain of outlets across Klang Valley? Let’s just say there are a couple of reasons why GUĀNG Restaurant & Bar is such a popular choice among locals.
- Despite its simple interior with a few Japanese decors, GUĀNG manages to pull off an inviting atmosphere that’s essential for dining, drinking and relaxing.
- GUĀNG lives up to their “restaurant” subtitle with a great selection of Japanese-Asian cuisine, genuinely saliva-inducing snacks and main dishes that pair oh so well with your sake, beers or cocktails, all to your liking.
- Must-haves: Chiizu Gyoza Fondue (cheddar and mozzarella cheese dumplings), Osaka Pizza (minced pork, pork shabu, lap cheong, pork lard, cheese and red pizza sauce), sake and more.
Whether it’s drinking with friends or bringing your family out for a nice dinner, GUĀNG is a versatile place that’s great for most occasions!
📍 C-16-G, Jalil Link, 2, Jalan Jalil Perkasa 7, Bukit Jalil, 57000 Kuala Lumpur
⏰ Open daily, 1PM – 12AM
📍 69G, Jln Telawi 3, Bangsar, 59100, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
⏰ Open daily, 2PM – 12AM
2. Makhan by Kitchen Mafia: Warm your soul with the best of East and West
Founded by celebrity chefs Sherson Lian, Johnny Fua and co., just by reading the mention of their names is enough to know that the food at Makhan by Kitchen Mafia will be 👌 *chef’s kiss*.
- Get your taste buds ready for exotic Northern Indian & comfy British fare at Makhan, from classics (fish & chips, mutton fried pulao) to new inventions (duck masala pizza, smoked duck hummus).
- Don’t forget to pair your heart-warming food with a compact but well-defined selection of cocktails, though they have a more extensive variety of refreshing beers and wine too!
- Must-haves: Cuttlefish tikka, curry fish head, 120mins beef brisket – they recently introduced Mexican cuisine like tacos too!
📍 The Gasket Alley, Lot 15, Jalan 13/6, Pjs 13, 46200 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
⏰ Monday – Friday (3PM – 12AM); Saturday (1PM – 12AM); and Sunday (1PM – 11PM)
3. WIP on the Park: The perfect marriage of both nature & urban lifestyle under one roof
Fans of SOULed OUT would definitely want to check out WIP on the Park, a refreshing getaway from the bustling city while remaining at the centre of it!
- This oasis at the heart of KL is great for those who like the feel of the tranquil open-air, sprawling glass windows, tropical garden and a luxurious wide open space to give you and your company the privacy you desire.
- A menu that boasts almost 100 food items for your gastronomical adventure, featuring an extensive variety of cuisine that’s either crowd favourites or sophisticated innovations.
- On top of their craft cocktail, local beers and specialised wines from all over the world, you can even head over to their bar to request a special cocktail made exactly to your preference, or go down to the Balvenie Distillery to sample their finest liquor.
- Must-haves: Kerala Style Fish in Banana Leaf, Black Angus Fried Kway Teow and Wagyu Truffle Pesto Burger.
📍 Marc Residence, No. 3, Jalan Pinang, 50450, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
⏰ Open daily, 12PM – 12AM
4. Fat Olive Food Garage: A no-nonsense journey across the sea of Mediterranean food
Sometimes straight-to-the-point F&B is the way to go, especially when you’re already eating something as eye-opening as Mediterranean cuisine – which is what Fat Olive Food Garage is all about!
- Every dish this Spanish-Mediterranean restaurant serves is packed with ingredients that are all individually placed with purpose, each one offering a different flavour or texture to contrast or enhance the main event – all with reasonable prices and generous portions!
- Fat Olive’s interior makes full use of metal and wood to contrast each other, with a suitably-industrial setting that lives up to its namesake.
- Must-haves: Mixed Tapas Platter, Iberico Pork Burger, Sangria and more.
📍 Menara Prima, B-G-17 Tower B Entrance, Jalan PJU 1/39, 47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
⏰ Tuesday – Sunday, 11.30AM – 10PM (Tuesday – Friday closed for break, 3PM – 5PM)
5. BarTailor: End your night with drinks and a new suit at this luxury speakeasy bar
There’s no shortage of fantastic speakeasy bars in Malaysia, but only one can claim the title of “the world’s first speakeasy bar that blends in bespoke tailoring”! We wonder if this is where the Kingsmen actually hang out. 🤔
- A cosy yet luxurious interior of leather seats, brick walls, mezzanine flooring, and outstanding suit displays – all behind the hidden entrance of a grand Marilyn Monroe painting.
- Aside from their delicious array of in-house cocktails (as well as a seasonal selection), you can also enjoy exclusively customisable cocktails that are made exactly to your preference.
- Appointment-only suit tailoring services by a qualified tailor, possessing a decade’s worth of knowledge on British and Italian textile, as well as WSET L2 certification to coach you on the prestige lifestyle – for both genders too!
- Signature cocktails:
- Smoke in the Water: dry gin mixed with floral syrups and Osmanthus tea
- Tuxedo: cognac and sweet vermouth, finished with aromatic bitters, rice water and chrysanthemum syrup
- Girl Next Door: a gin base that’s topped with peach schnapps, elderflower, and blue butterfly pea tea
So, the next time you need a new suit and a fantastic place with intermediate sommelier standards to imbibe at, get your chauffeur (we kid) to drive you to BarTailor and get everything done in style!
📍 42A, Jalan SS 20/10, Damansara Kim, 47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
⏰ Monday – Saturday, 3PM – 12AM
So many awesome places to try! Worth the trip ah?
It’s important to bring out our inner playful and curious sides from time to time; to stay inspired and savour the many joys that life has to offer. Even something as common as dining in the city can be taken to new heights when you look hard enough and give you new life perspectives to ponder upon for years. So yes, we believe these gastronomical experiences are well worth the drive!
When that weird-looking food hit you like.
Let’s not forget about the drinks too! When they’re made right, the ones that are truly outstanding can give you the inspiration you’ve been looking for and compel you to uncover the secrets of the world and yourself! And that’s exactly what Edelweiss strives to do.
Woah, what’s Edelweiss?
Edelweiss is an all-new premium wheat beer that’s brewed with the finest wheat, purest Alpine water and a hint of mountain herbs, all in Alps!
Edelweiss’ history can be traced all the way back to 1646, which means it’s one of the world’s first wheat beers. Can you imagine that centuries later, its recipe remains the same as it was in the 1600s’? That’s quality in a bottle (or can/glass).
Popping open an ice-cold Edelweiss beer is just like breathing in the pure mountain air for the very first time, with a bright, golden yellow that’s welcoming to anyone who partakes in it.
It’s a superbly smooth and balanced beer that has the final touches of herbs and spices (like sage, coriander and elderflower), fruity notes and a finish as refreshing as its hometown in the Alps. Both seasoned and social drinkers will definitely enjoy this quality beer!
Edelweiss’ one-of-a-kind flavour profile actually makes it a versatile beer to pair with any food. However, to get the best pairing possible, complementing them with spicy or fruity meals would maximise your enjoyment, such as curries, fruit desserts and the like.
Edelweiss seeks to inspire us to explore the world around us – especially our beautiful city and country – and ourselves. To try new experiences and view our home with a new lens, and enjoy life the alpine (playful/fun) way. After all, what’s life if we’re not living it, right?
Interested to taste the freshness of the Alps? Head over to Drinkies and treat yourself to a pack of Edelweiss beers this weekend! Or simply head on over to the aforementioned restaurants and bars to have a fresh glass or bottle of the Alps with Edelweiss.
And remember guys, Edelweiss beers are meant for non-Muslims over the age of 21 only and you should ALWAYS consume responsibly. That means don’t drink and drive ya?
PM: “Certain Parties” Ignored Warnings by MetMalaysia Which Set Back Flood Rescue Operations
The highly anticipated special parliamentary sitting to discuss matters relating to the floods and long term flood disaster management planning...
JUST IN: Lee Zii Jia Banned From International Tournaments For 2 Years
The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) has announced that the country’s top singles player, Lee Zii Jia, will not be...
“It was merely said in jest” – Ministry Defends Zuraida’s “Orangutan Will Kill You First” Statement
The Minister of Plantation Industries and Commodities, Datuk Zuraida Kamaruddin, has recently found herself receiving backlash after she had said...
PLUS Apologises For RFID Issues, Says That SmartTAG Lanes Will Be Reopened by 25 January
Good news, fellow road users! The implementation of RFID toll booths on 15 January faced backlash from Malaysians for its...
KJ Says Temperature Scanning Will Soon Be Eliminated From The Current SOPs
Just this evening (20 January), Minister of Health, Khairy Jamaluddin held a media conference to provide certain updates on the...
“Omicron isn’t the last variant” – Knock, Knock! WHO’s There To Tell You Why!
Out of sight, but nowhere near out of mind. DG of WHO warns public on Omicron not being the final...
1 of 3 Suspects Who Ran Away From Roadblock Arrested & Positive For Drugs, PDRM Looking For Other 2
The video of a “police and thief” chase recently spread like wildfire and netizens have dubbed it as one of...
“Let people have freedom of choice” – PM Sabri Says Road Users Should Be Given Choice To Use RFID or Not
It was announced that the RFID toll transaction payment system will start to be implemented in stages on the North-South...
News11 hours ago
JUST IN: Lee Zii Jia Banned From International Tournaments For 2 Years
Social Stories18 hours ago
WATCH: Paralympian Cries After Finding Out That His Coach’s Contract Might Not Get Renewed
Social Stories11 hours ago
E-Hailing Driver Accidentally Steers His MyVi Into Pool of KL Condo Due to Poor Visibility During Heavy Rain
Social Stories16 hours ago
1 Day of Exercise, 6 Days Injured! M’sian Shares How a Spin Class Resulted in a Trip to The Hospital