As more and more businesses try to transition from brick-and-mortar shops into online e-commerce shopfronts, we are beginning to see not just vendors of fashion and common household goods take to the virtual marketplace, but food vendors too. After all, everyone has got to do what they can to survive in the ‘new norm’.
But for online shoppers who recently bought puding buih from an online vendor in Kuala Terangganu and Marang, it landed them a visit to the hospital, after as many as 48 of them came down with food poisoning.
As many as 20 of them were admitted to Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital, while one suffered symptoms so bad, they had to be warded in intensive care.
Four patients were admitted into private hospitals, while the rest only received outpatient treatment for their condition according to NST. Terengganu state Health Director Dr Nor Azimi Yunus said that the Health Department is still making investigations into the case.
“Most of the patients experienced symptoms such as stomach ache and diarrhoea.” she said.
Reports of cases of food poisoning related to the consumption of the puding buih were reported as early as Monday (25th May 2020), with most cases originating from Kuala Terengganu and Marang.
This case definitely got many netizens to be extra careful when buying food from online vendors.
For those who were affected by this incident, we hope that they will get well soon! And let this be a reminder to both business owners and customers alike to be sure to check on your products to ensure their safety, especially when purchasing online!
Also read: MoH: Rice Left at Room Temperature For 4 Hours Could Cause Food Poisoning If Reheated!