In April and May, two women died of a deadly infection after eating contaminated seafood. This incident happened in Fujian, China where both the unrelated victims died within a day after being hospitalised.
According to China Press, the first patient was a woman in her 50s, and she was rushed to the hospital after both her legs started swelling up and she developed a fever. Her blood was taken for examination and a type of bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus was detected in the sample.
In just a matter of hours, her condition went from bad to critical. Sadly, she died after her major organs failed to function normally – and it was reported that her family owns a seafood shop.
Meanwhile, in the second case, the patient was diagnosed with the same flesh-eating bacteria and within eight hours of hospitalisation, her legs were severely infected, which led to sepsis, an extreme response from our body towards infection. This life-threatening condition can trigger a chain reaction which can rapidly lead to tissue and organ damage.
Unfortunately, she too succumbed to the infection and her family members revealed that she had eaten escargot (sea snails) and other seafood prior to the incident.
Following the incidents, a senior doctor from the hospital released a statement saying that the bacteria lives in parts of the ocean where the water temperature is around 20 degrees Celsius. This bacteria enters our body through our wounds or when we ingest seafood that is contaminated and not thoroughly cooked. It was understood that such a condition can be tricky to treat even in countries with advanced medical facilities as the death rate is reportedly 30 per cent.
So guys, be sure to consume seafood that is properly cooked just to be on the safe side!
JUST IN: Swimming Pools Are Now Allowed To Be Open For Water Sports Training
Minister of Defence, Dato’ Sri Ismail Sabri bin Yaakob has just announced in a live broadcast that swimming pools will...
JUST IN: Resorts World Genting Confirms That They Will Be Reopening Starting 19th June!
Guys, this is not a drill. Genting Highlands will officially be reopening by this weekend to the public after an extended closure due...
JUST IN: Setapak Barber Confirmed Positive For Covid-19, 40 Close Contact Cases Identified
In an update from the case of a barber in Setapak allegedly testing positive for Covid-19, our Health Director-General Dr...
JUST IN: Barber in Setapak Suspected To Be Positive For Covid-19 Only After 2 Days of Opening Barbershop
UPDATE: Health Director-General Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah has come forward to mention that the barber’s diagnosis has not been officially...
BREAKING: SPM & STPM Students Will Return To School By 24th June
In his latest live telecast to the Malaysian public, Education Minister Dr. Mohd Radzi bin Md Jidin has announced that...
Tired Of Comparing Prices On Different Websites? This ONE App Helps You Do That, Gives You Cashback & MORE
Nowadays, more and more Malaysians would prefer to do their shopping online rather than in physical stores. This is because...
Stronger, Faster & Smarter: Here’s Why M’sians Can’t Wait to Get the HUAWEI P40 Pro+ Dropping This Friday!
In case you didn’t know, we’re just a couple of days away from the launch of the HUAWEI P40 Pro+...
The New Normal Reveals 6 Things M’sians Do That Unknowingly Help Spread Germs & Bacteria Faster
Life has been a lot more different since the Movement Control Order (MCO) was implemented on 18 March 2020, almost...
- News16 hours ago
Photo of Human-Sized Bats Go Viral and Yes, They Actually Exist
- Current Affairs19 hours ago
Kanye West Announces He Will Be Running For President of America Over Twitter
- Current Affairs19 hours ago
World Famous Cirque Du Soleil Circus Act Officially Declares Bankrupty, Leaves 3,500 People Jobless
- Current Affairs15 hours ago
RMCO: 96 Individuals Arrested At Pubs And Nightclubs For Violating SOP