Throughout this MCO period, most of us have gotten used to purchasing almost everything we need online. But when it comes to shopping for clothes, it will always be tricky. It’s hard enough to make a choice when you’re in the dressing room trying on 741,938 pieces of clothing, but to choose a garment without having tried or even touched it? VERY tricky indeed.
So, if you’re in the same boat as us, fret not! Read this list to find out a few of our tried and tested tips that we often use when shopping online to get the best fit possible!
1. Get the most accurate measurements of yourself with the right measuring technique
This might sound like an obvious tip but it’s also a very important one, especially considering how some people are still unsure of how to take accurate measurements of our own bodies. In case you didn’t already know, here’s how to properly measure yourself:
- Shoulder: Place the measuring tape on the boniest part of your shoulder (approximately above where your armpit is) and stretch the tape tautly to the same spot on the opposite shoulder.
- Bust: To get the most comfortable measurement for your bust, wrap the measurement tape across your underarms and around the fullest part of your bust area.
- Waist: Wrap the measuring tape around your waist, which is located at the narrowest part of your torso. You can also bend your body and see where it creases to find your waist.
- Hips: To make sure your bottom garment fits just nice, the circumference of your hips should be measured around the fullest part of your buttocks.
Tip: Make sure you’re standing up straight and don’t suck in your stomach or else you’ll get an inaccurate measurement!
2. Familiarise yourself with different sizing systems especially from different countries
This is another crucial tip especially if you often shop on international websites. You might have noticed that different brands would adopt different sizing systems, mainly based on where the brand is from. For example, if you shop on Asian websites, the sizes are generally a lot smaller than American/European sizes. So while you may be an M in EU size, you might be an L or even XL in Asian size.
In this case, you might want to refer to the next tip…
3. Look for the exact measurements of each garment
If you’re too confused by the different sizing systems that are out there, then it might be better for you to refer to the exact measurements of the garment. Unfortunately, not all websites have this information listed. This is why we prefer to shop on websites like SHEIN where you can click on the different sizes available and refer to the garment’s exact measurements. It makes it way easier for us to get the best fit possible.
But wait! The good news doesn’t stop there. SHEIN is also giving a special promo code exclusively for our loyal WORLD OF BUZZ readers!
Just make sure to use the promo code ‘WOBPROMO‘ at checkout to get an additional 15% OFF of your total order!
This promo code will be valid from today until 17 August 2021 so make sure to hurry guys! Now it’ll be even easier for you to get your hands on all of their trendiest clothes. BRB, we’re going shopping now! ?
4. Always look at the review sections and the photos of previous buyers
If you look through the comments section, you can usually find buyers who are kind enough to comment on their height and weight and how the size they bought fit their body type. In fact, some websites like SHEIN would also include the customers’ body measurements in their profile which makes it a lot more convenient for us to refer to.
Not only that, but you can also see the material of the clothing better which can sometimes affect the fit as well (for example, softer materials that cling to the body tend to be more fitting which means you can probably take one size up to make it more comfortable).
5. If you’re really unsure, buy the garment in two different sizes and return the one that doesn’t fit
There will always be moments when we aren’t able to decide which size would look or fit better on our bodies. So in this case, why not purchase both of them! But before you do this, make sure that the website has a good return policy where you can send the item back for free and you will also get proper refunds for it, whether in cash or store credit.
Of course, it can be quite a pain to order duplicates of every single item. Thus, we’d only recommend doing this for certain clothes that you’re getting for special occasions, like a dress you plan to wear as a bridesmaid or a blazer you’re getting for a job interview.
Well, that’s it for now but we hope you have a better idea of how to shop for clothes online! If you’re still a bit hesitant, we’d recommend shopping on websites like SHEIN where it is a lot more convenient to read up on its sizing system and you can also clearly see how each garment looks like in real life (so you won’t experience another “expectation vs reality” nightmare!).
Not only is their website always having various sales and promotions, but you can also use this chance to utilise the exclusive promo code we just mentioned to get some trendy clothes at a really affordable price! It’s a steal guys!
Do you have any other tips on how you shop for clothes online? Share them with us below, please!