Connect with us

Social Stories

Family Suffers First & Second-Degree Burns After Hotpot Explodes on Them in KL Restaurant

Published

Collage
Source: Facebook

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

A family suffering from 1st and 2nd-degree burns after a hotpot explosion at a restaurant in KL is demanding for justice.

In a viral Facebook post in the group KL吹水站, Jason recounts the traumatic experience he and his family went through back in September last year.

The lead up to the explosion

According to Jason, his family had ordered four hotpots, but less than 5 minutes since they started eating, the fire for 2 of them went out.

324597414 6256460964387649 623573295603206217 N

 

They called a male staff over to reignite the fire. As the restaurant uses gel fuel for their hotpots and the one at Jason’s table was running out, the staff took the gel fuel container away and shook it gently before lighting it again. 

Not long after, the fire for 2 of the other hotpots also got extinguished. This time, Jason and his family were assisted by a more experienced female employee. 

“Her method of handling the gel container was very different from the male staff. She shook it so vigorously that the next thing we knew, there was a loud bang. The gel container had exploded.”

Getting burned on the face, back and chest

In the immediate aftermath of the explosion, Jason shared that the restaurant staff did nothing for 5 minutes before an employee used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

Screenshot 2023 01 10 165002

 

However, by then, Jason and his family had obtained burns on their skin.

“There were flames on me and my father’s faces, backs and chests. My parents were frantically trying to put out the fire on my body while my sister helped with my dad’s,” said Jason.

“When I noticed that my hand was hurting a lot and that my forehead was bleeding, my mum quickly drove me to a nearby private hospital for emergency treatment.”

The restaurant owners also sent Jason’s father and 2 sisters to the hospital for treatment.

The owners agreed to compensate Jason’s family

On the way to the hospital, the restaurant owners allegedly assured Jason’s sisters that they would take responsibility for all of their medical expenses and costs for follow-up treatments.

As they were at a loss for what to do once they reached the hospital, Jason and his family first used their insurance to get treated as soon as possible. 

2

 

They agreed that they would only discuss any plans for compensation after Jason had made a full recovery.

An unreasonable compensation plan

In October, Jason proposed a compensation plan after speaking with the restaurant owners, who said that they would get back to Jason in one week’s time.

After procrastinating on Jason’s claim for about a month, the restaurant finally broke their silence and rejected the claim.

“They proposed a completely unreasonable compensation package. The package included RM2,000 in cash and RM1,000 in cash vouchers to dine at their restaurant,” said Jason, who rejected their offer.

1

 

Then, the restaurant made another suggestion, increasing the cash compensation to RM3,000 from RM2,000. 

“My medical expenses racked up a total of close to RM30,000 and my tuition fees now cost RM10,000 due to one month’s absence. As for my part-time job, I would’ve made RM5,000 and my clothes are worth RM500.”

“Also, we no longer dare to eat at restaurants with open fires because this incident has caused us psychological trauma.”

To end the post, Jason emphasised that he created the post to demand justice for himself and his family. He also hopes that this will prevent others from becoming victims too.

Watch the full video below:

Posted by Jason Chiu on Saturday, January 7, 2023

 

We hope Jason and his family is recovering well. May justice be served.

 

Also read: Ampang Man Killed in Explosion From Package Left on The Hood of His Car

Also Read 7

Source: Facebook
Source: Facebook
Source: Facebook
Source: Facebook

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Dd Ft 5 Dd Ft 5
News2 hours ago

Melaka Teens as Young as 14 Assault & Strangle Female E-Hailing Driver After Failing to Pay Ride Fare

A female e-hailing driver went through a terrifying ordeal after being beaten by a group of passengers who were suspected...

Dd Ft 3 Dd Ft 3
News1 day ago

MARA Chairman Slams Netizens for Belittling Cadet Pilot Programme Prioritising Tahfiz Students

Recently, Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) announced its decision to offer Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Tahfiz students the opportunity...

Collage 17 Collage 17
News5 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Collage 2 2 Collage 2 2
News5 days ago

“Shoot them if they evade arrest” – Kedah MB Urges Extreme Measures Against Langkawi Drug Syndicate

Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has urged police to take firm, and even “extreme”, measures to...

Collage 15 Collage 15
News6 days ago

Jho Low Seeks Presidential Pardon from Donald Trump to Drop His 1MDB Criminal Charges in the US

Fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, has reportedly applied for a presidential pardon from former...

Collage 14 Collage 14
News1 week ago

19yo M’sian Student Charged with Murder of Woman Found with 61 Stab Wounds, Faces Death Penalty

A college student has been charged at the Kota Bharu Magistrate’s Court today with the murder of 19-year-old Nurfisya Zulkifly...

Collage 13 Collage 13
News1 week ago

PDRM: Several Individuals, Believed to be Drunk, Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery for ‘Glaring’ at Them

A man was assaulted by a group of individuals after reportedly looking in their direction while dining at a restaurant...

Collage 11 Collage 11
News2 weeks ago

PDRM: 11yo Student Who Fell from Melaka School Was Retrieving Peer’s Shoe He Had Thrown on Awning

Police have confirmed that an incident involving a Standard 5 male student, who was injured after falling from a garage...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY