Connect with us

Social Stories

M’sians Are Getting Hospitalised After Allegedly Eating Stinky Tofu from Night Markets


My Post 2 12
Source: 卿卿子衿 | XiaoHongShu

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

Imagine ending up in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) after eating stinky tofu.

That’s the unfortunate circumstances 2 sister had to endure.

Netizen, 卿卿子衿, took to XiaoHongShu to share how she and her sister had to be admitted into the ICU for food poisoning allegedly due to eating stinky tofu from the night market in Kuala Lumpur.

Stinky Tofu 1

She wrote, “Yes, we are 2 sisters who got food poisoning from eating from a stinky tofu stall at a Kuala Lumpur night market and we were hospitalised for 5 days and 4 nights.”


It all started on August 10 (Thursday), when they visited the night market. Her family decided to purchase 2 boxes from the stinky tofu stall after other customers had praised the food.

The next day, while she was having breakfast with her friends, she started having stomach pains but she didn’t take it seriously as she thought she was having menstrual cramps.

Stinky Tofu 2

“But it started to feel more and more wrong, the diarrhea became more frequent, and I also started vomiting and I had a fever. At that time, I felt like I was going to faint from exhaustion. I endured it until my sister came back from work at about 9:30pm. I had already pooped 14 times that day and vomited 3 times,” she explained.

Her sister decided to take her to Sunway Medical Centre’s emergency department where she was immediately admitted and placed under drips. Though, at about 2am, her blood pressure spiked to 96 and the doctor moved her to the High Dependency Unit (HDU) inside the ICU.

Stinky Tofu 3

“The doctor said he tested my blood and found a bacteria called Vibrio, which is transmitted through contaminated water (somewhat similar to cholera). At first I wasn’t sure if it was the stinky tofu. It wasn’t until the next morning when I received the news that my sister has also been admitted to the hospital for food poisoning,”

“I quickly told the doctor and the nurse attending to me. Then the nurses on the 2 floors (the ICU and the general ward) all knew that these 2 sisters were admitted to the hospital after eating stinky tofu,” she added.


It was later discovered that her sister also had the Vibrio bacteria as well as the Rota bacteria 

“Until I was discharged from the hospital, I was still not sure whether it was the stinky tofu that’s to be blamed. Because, I ate 2 different kinds of stinky tofu that day,” she said.

Though, she later heard that her fellow student from her university and 2 of his friends were also admitted to a hospital for food poisoning after eating stinky tofu, albeit from a different night market.

Stinky Tofu 4

“I was then 100% convinced that it was the stinky tofu!”

“Please take good care of your diet. Food poisoning is really not a small matter. It cost RM13,ooo for 5 days and 4 nights alone (luckily I have an insurance policy), but I still had to pay RM1,000 out of my own pocket, which was harmful to me and my finances. I wish you all good health,” she added.


While we’re not entirely sure if the stinky tofu is to be blamed, we believe that having street food does come with its risks.

We genuinely hope that everyone heals from their food poisoning incidents!

What do you think about this? Do feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section.


Also read: M’sian Gets Food Poisoning & RM5k Medical Bill, Eatery Only Gives RM100 Coupon as Compensation

My Post 1 2023 08 31T112155.081

Source: 卿卿子衿
Source: 卿卿子衿
Source: 卿卿子衿
Source: 卿卿子衿

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

Just In

Feat Image Spm2023 Feat Image Spm2023
News2 hours ago

SPM 2023: Pendidikan Quran & Sunnah Records Highest ‘A’ Percentage, Ad-Maths Highest ‘Gagal’

Monday (27 May) was a landmark day for SPM 2023 candidates as after doing their best in the O Level...

My Post 1 2024 05 29T105616.669 My Post 1 2024 05 29T105616.669
News3 hours ago

Puchong Residents are Protesting the Construction of a Chinese School in Their Area, Here’s Why!

The residents of Bandar Kinrara, Puchong, are now actively opposing the construction of a Chinese school, SJKC Too Joon Hing,...

Collage 67 Collage 67
News3 hours ago

29yo Businesswoman in Penang Gets Charged & Fined RM2K by Court for Owning 102 Sex Toys

In case you’re not aware, yes, owning a sex toy in Malaysia is ILLEGAL. We’ll get to the laws around...

Feat Image Mobile Wallet Feat Image Mobile Wallet
News4 hours ago

Study: 63% of Malaysians Utilise Mobile Wallets for Transactions, The Highest in The World!

A recent study by Adyen, a global financial technology platform, has found that a whopping 63% of Malaysians utilise mobile...

My Post 1 2024 05 28T145839.287 1 My Post 1 2024 05 28T145839.287 1
News22 hours ago

Someone Allegedly Threw a Shopping Trolley from an Apartment in Bangsar, Nearly Hitting a Woman

Imagine standing outside of an apartment building only to look up and see a shopping trolley falling from above towards...

Collage 3 3 Collage 3 3
News23 hours ago

Chef Wan Apologises for Kavadi Remarks on Aishwarya Rai’s Outfit, Says He Was Pointing out Dress Material

Just recently, Malaysian celebrity chef, Chef Wan Ismail surprised many followers with his “Kavadi” remark that was left on a...

My Post 1 2024 05 28T102415.406 My Post 1 2024 05 28T102415.406
News1 day ago

Former Health DG Explains Why Malaysians Need Not Worry About AstraZeneca Vaccine Side Effects

It was recently announced that AstraZeneca was withdrawing all of their vaccines globally after admitting that their vaccine came with...

My Post 1 2024 05 27T155058.872 My Post 1 2024 05 27T155058.872
News2 days ago

Football Fans Turned Cheras into a Warzone After KL City Lost to JDT Over the Weekend

What do Malaysian football fans do when the team they’re supporting losses a match? They riot, of course. We’ve seen...


Latest Videos