Good news for international tourists! Japan Airlines is offering up to 50,000 free round-trip air tickets to international tourists next summer during the Tokyo Olympics, and you can start applying in February. This move is to encourage visitors to travel within Japan as the air tickets are for domestic destinations.
This means that first, travellers will have to fly to Japan as the air tickets are domestic destinations and will be departing from either Haneda Airport in Tokyo or Osaka’s Itami and Kansai airports. The tickets are to four different locations in Japan but it’ll be a surprise for the lucky travellers as they won’t know where they’re going until the application is successful.
Here’s what you need to know before you grab those free tickets:
- You must apply to Japan Airline’s Mileage Bank frequent flier program
- Applicants must have a passport outside of Japan or if you have permanent residency outside Japan
- Travel period is from 1st July 2020 (Wed) to 30th September (Wed)
- You will only find out where you are going within three days of your application
- You can apply as a group of up to four people
- Choose from three or five departure/arrival time slots when you apply
- Remember to key in the departure date and flight number of your flight to Japan
The applications are expected to open in late February and tickets will be given away on a first-come, first-served basis. So you better don’t dilly dally! The Olympic Summer Games in Tokyo will be held from 24th July to 9th August 2020, while the Paralympics finish on 6th September.
This giveaway by Japan Airlines is expected to help take away the strain from the capital city as an influx of tourists is expected. Plus, you get to explore other areas of Japan with a free air ticket as well!
For more information, you can log on to Japan Airlines’ website here.