Connect with us

News

“He was the author of his own misfortune” – Najib to Stay Behind Bars After Court Dismisses Review

Published

Ft Najib
Source: 123RF & Utusan

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.

The Federal Court has just dismissed former Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s application for leave to review his SRC International case in a majority 4-1 decision.

In the majority decision, read by Justice Vernon Ong Lam Kiat, the panel found no bias or breach of natural justice.

“He (Najib) was the author of his own misfortune. The review application should be, and hereby, dismissed,” the judge said here today (March 31).

Najib And Son 2

 

After hearing a lengthy submission by the defence and the prosecution over the span of 6 days in January and February on why the former PM should or should not be given leave for the review, panel chair Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak Justice Abdul Rahman Sebli had said the court’s decision would come “no later than March 31”.

If leave is granted, the Federal Court will then fix a date to have Najib’s review application heard on its full merits.

If the leave is not granted, Najib will have to resign himself to his fate in Kajang Prison where he is currently in.

Najib was seeking leave to review the Federal Court’s decision of August 23, 2022 which upholds the Kuala Lumpur High Court’s decision to convict and sentence him to 12 years in jail and a RM210 million fine in the RM42 million SRC International case.

117051807 L Normal None

 

One of the points raised by Najib’s team was the “fundamental failure of a fair trial”.

Meanwhile, lead prosecutor Datuk V. Sithambaram told the Federal Court that Najib was complicit with his new counsel in seeking an adjournment during the final appeal despite knowing that the hearing dates had been fixed 4 months before.

He said Najib had taken on new lawyers with the hope of postponing the hearing of the appeal and so the court had the right to refuse the adjournment sought.

There was no breach of natural justice with this refusal, Sithambaram said, as it was “self-inflicted”.

 

Stay tuned for more updates!

 

Also read: “The justice Bossku deserves” – Yana Najib Expresses Gratitude Over Father’s Discharge from 1MDB Case

Collage 11

Source: Utusan
Source: 123RF

Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest stories and updates daily.



Just In

Collage 24 Collage 24
News18 hours ago

Plot Twist: ASEAN Records Exposes Fake Letter & Unregistered NGO After Allegations Go Viral

The Malaysia-based private record recognition platform found itself at the centre of controversy after a letter allegedly from the ASEAN...

Dd Ft 7 Dd Ft 7
News21 hours ago

Married 42yo Seremban Teacher Charged with Grooming & Sexually Abusing Her 14yo Student Under Tree, In House

A 42-year-old Malaysian teacher has pleaded not guilty to five counts of sexual offences against her 14-year-old male student. Nurul...

Collage 26 Collage 26
News22 hours ago

“They are brave individuals” – All 29 Malaysian Global Sumud Flotilla Activists Have Been Kidnapped by Israel

Hope that humanitarian aid would finally reach the people of Gaza appeared to collapse on Tuesday night (19 May) after...

Dd Ft 6 Dd Ft 6
News24 hours ago

M’sian Woman in Her 80s Drives Against Traffic on PJ Highway While Trying to Find Exit, Gets Arrested

A video of a vehicle driving against the flow of traffic at KM10.8 of the Damansara-Shah Alam Elevated Expressway (DASH)...

Collage 25 Collage 25
News24 hours ago

“Unintentional mistake” – Health Dept Apologises & Clarifies Chinese-Language Dengue Card at KL Govt Clinic

The Federal Territories Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya Health Department (JKWPKL&P) has issued an apology following controversy surrounding the use of...

Dd Ft 5 Dd Ft 5
News2 days ago

Melaka Teens as Young as 14 Assault & Strangle Female E-Hailing Driver After Failing to Pay Ride Fare

A female e-hailing driver went through a terrifying ordeal after being beaten by a group of passengers who were suspected...

Dd Ft 3 Dd Ft 3
News3 days ago

MARA Chairman Slams Netizens for Belittling Cadet Pilot Programme Prioritising Tahfiz Students

Recently, Majlis Amanah Rakyat (MARA) announced its decision to offer Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Tahfiz students the opportunity...

Collage 17 Collage 17
News7 days ago

“Sg Buloh Prison is overcrowded” – Lawyer Urges Court to Release Trio Who Beat Up Man at Kepong Eatery on Bail

Three men accused of assaulting a long-haired man at a bak kut teh shop in Kepong were charged in the...

Announcement

Latest Videos



TRENDING TODAY